What is the Best Circuit Design for a LED Water Temperature Display?

In summary, the conversation discusses designing a circuit using op amps to measure the temperature of water in a tank and display it using three LED lights. The solution involves using three op amps, each connected to a different LED, and a thermistor to sense the temperature. The conversation also mentions using BJTs for current control and suggests looking into examples of "Op-Amps as Comparators".
greg136

Homework Statement

I need to design a circuit that measures the temperature of a tank of water (using presumably a thermistor) and then displays the temperature by lighting just one of three led lights. For example, if it is too hot, the only the first LED lights up, if it is too cold only the second will light up, and if it is in the correct temperature range, then only the third will light up.

I think I'm ok to use Op Amps, if that helps, but I can't use microcontrollers etc.

Thanking you in anticipation.

Greg136

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I could get this to work should I only need 1 LED, or possibly even 2, but I have no idea how I can get 3 LEDs working independently from one another.

Physics news on Phys.org
The easiest way would be to use 3 op amps - one for each LED.

Remember that the inputs of an op-amp take no current (ideally) so you can connect the three inputs to the same sensor without affecting it.
You then just need the opamps set to each switch at a particular resistance(=temperature).

mgb_phys said:
The easiest way would be to use 3 op amps - one for each LED.

Remember that the inputs of an op-amp take no current (ideally) so you can connect the three inputs to the same sensor without affecting it.
You then just need the opamps set to each switch at a particular resistance(=temperature).

Great, thanks.

Sorry I misread you question.
Making only one turn on at a time is a little trickier.
You might need either a pair of op-amps (to set lower/upper voltage levels) or some logic gates (so lamp A if outputs 1 AND NOT 2 OR 3).

Is this a project type thing (component cost / size not a driver) or a product?

It's just a project I'm working on. It's supposed to be for a fish tank, so if the water is too hot or cold, the owner is informed by an LED and an alarm.

Unfortunately my knowledge of op amps is poor at best :s

I'm just reading up on them now, but any input you have would be gratefully received :D

Thanks

If you don't mind having the LEDs come on in sequence
so too cold = first led, OK = 1st/2nd, too hot = 1,2,3 all on it's very easy.

Get a thermistor, measure it's resistance in cold and then feed it into a an op amp with a resistor of that value on the other input.
Arrange it so that as long as the thermistor is below this resistance the opamp is off but as soon as it gets more the opamp output goes high. Then just connect that LED to the op-amp output (with possibly a current limit resistor). You might have to swap the inputs to the opamp depending if your thermistor goes up or down with increasing temperature. You will also need a resistor from the top of the thermistor to +ve power to drive it.
Then just do the same with 2 other opamps (or as many channels as you want) you can use the same thermistor connected to each.

Look for examples of "Op-Amps as Comparators"

mgb_phys said:
If you don't mind having the LEDs come on in sequence
so too cold = first led, OK = 1st/2nd, too hot = 1,2,3 all on it's very easy.

Get a thermistor, measure it's resistance in cold and then feed it into a an op amp with a resistor of that value on the other input, arrange it so that as long as the thermistor is below this resistance the opamp is off as soon as it gets more the opamp output goes high. Then just connect that LED to the op-amp output (with possibly a current limit resistor). You might have to swap the inputs to the opamp depending if your thermistor goes up or down with increasing temperature.
Then just do the same with 2 other opamps (or as many channels as you want).

Look for examples of "Op-Amps as Comparators"

Yeah, I managed a similar set up earlier no probs, however, I need the lights to operate independently, i.e. just one light on at a time.

Just something to consider, depending on the current draw that you need for your lights, you may want to use some BJTs at the outputs of your opamps. LEDs typically draw on the order of 10s of mA, so you can run into problems using some opamps. You can problably find an app note in the opamp datasheet for this.

1. How does the LED water temperature system work?

The LED water temperature system uses a temperature sensor to measure the temperature of the water. This information is then sent to an LED display, which shows the current temperature of the water.

2. Can the LED water temperature system be used in any type of water?

Yes, the LED water temperature system can be used in any type of water, including freshwater, saltwater, and even hot springs.

3. Are there any benefits to using an LED water temperature system?

Yes, there are several benefits to using an LED water temperature system. It provides an accurate and easy-to-read display of the water temperature, making it convenient for monitoring and adjusting the temperature. It also helps to conserve energy by preventing unnecessary heating or cooling of the water.

4. Is the LED water temperature system waterproof?

Yes, the LED water temperature system is waterproof. It is designed to be submerged in water and can withstand various water conditions.

5. Can the LED water temperature system be used for both indoor and outdoor pools?

Yes, the LED water temperature system can be used for both indoor and outdoor pools. It is suitable for any type of pool as long as it is properly installed and maintained.