Lemon battery and LED question

In summary, the conversation revolved around a physics project where the person initially wanted to build a percussion synthesizer circuit but ended up building a lemon battery to power an LED. They experimented with different types of batteries and were disappointed with the low current produced. They also had questions about the internal resistance of the battery and ways to increase the current. They mentioned other battery sources they wanted to try, such as Gatorade and wine, and hoped to find a way to power the LED brightly. The conversation also mentioned a documentary on lemon batteries and suggested using multiple pieces of lemon in series. They also mentioned doing research on Google for more information. In the end, they discussed the possibility of using a capacitor to increase the current and make the LED
MJay82
For my physics class this semester, we had a broad-ranged project to work on. Basically "anything related to physics" was the category. Initially I had wanted to build a percussion synthesizer circuit, but all I could manage to do was pick up a radio station 10 miles from my house, so I quickly switched gears so I had something to turn in.

I decided to build a lemon battery to power an LED, and do some experimentation. Out of curiosity, I picked up some limes too, and some apple cider vinegar and some balsamic vinegar. I made a few batteries and used my multimeter to measure the voltage of each battery. Then I started trying to light the LED (10 mA). In series, I added the batteries and ended up with a final voltage of 3.5 volts. I thought that this would be plenty to power an LED, but I found that it wasn't. Using my multimeter again, I measured the current produced by the batteries - 0.1 mA out of 3.5 volts! I was disappointed, but also intrigued by the discovery. I started thinking about Ohm's law, and here I get to my question:
If I were to use R = V/I, will this resistance be the internal resistance of the battery?

Also, what might be a way to increase my current with these food-related batteries? I tried V8 and Diet Coke - they both produced considerably more current than the lemons and vinegars, but still not enough to power the LED. When I added the V8 and Diet Coke batteries in series, the battery power was enough to get a flicker out of the LED.

I've got some Gatorade and wine that I hope to experiment with tonight. I would really like to get a big enough current out of these novel battery sources to brightly power the LED. Is there a way?

Additionally, my understanding of LEDs in series says that if I can power one LED, then since current will be conserved across series connections, I should be able to power a whole row of LEDs, expecting a voltage drop of about 2V across each LED.

I hope someone can help - this project is due on Wednesday and I'll have almost all day tomorrow to devote to polishing it up. Thanks in advance!

-Michael

Physics news on Phys.org
These guys have made basically a short documentary on lemon batteries:

They got the LED to blink with 4 lemons, and suggested cutting up the lemons into many pieces to be used in series.

But have you tried Google? There seemed like a ton of videos on youtube for this subject.
Some research here, probably will pay off.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would guess that you are indeed actually lighting your led with just one lemon, just not enough that you can detect it with your eyes. The answer to a visible light just might be a capacitor, which will build up potential drawn from the battery until it reaches its total capacitance, and then it will release that potential in an avalanche across the LED. This will continue as long as the electrolytes can continue to produce current and give you a blinking LED. a 200 microfarad cap should do the trick.

Related to Lemon battery and LED question

What is a lemon battery and how does it work?

A lemon battery is a simple electrical circuit that uses the citric acid in a lemon as an electrolyte to power a small light bulb or LED. The citric acid acts as an electrolyte, allowing the transfer of electrons from the zinc and copper electrodes to power the light bulb.

What materials do I need to build a lemon battery?

To build a lemon battery, you will need a fresh lemon, two metal electrodes (such as a zinc nail and a copper coin), and a small light bulb or LED. You will also need wire and alligator clips to connect the electrodes to the light bulb.

Can I use other fruits or vegetables instead of a lemon?

Yes, you can use other acidic fruits or vegetables such as oranges, potatoes, or tomatoes to make a battery. However, the amount of electricity produced may vary depending on the acidity of the fruit or vegetable.

What factors can affect the output of a lemon battery?

The output of a lemon battery can be affected by the freshness and acidity of the lemon, the size and type of electrodes used, and the distance between the electrodes. Temperature and humidity can also play a role in the battery's performance.

Is a lemon battery a practical source of electricity?

No, a lemon battery is a fun and educational experiment, but it is not a practical source of electricity. The amount of electricity produced is very small and can only power a small light bulb or LED for a short period of time.