Find Length of Median in Triangle via Cosine Law

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about deriving the length of a median of a triangle using cosine law. The person asking the question is getting incorrect results and is seeking help to identify their mistake. The moderator suggests checking out Apollonius's theorem and noting that the median does not bisect the vertex angle in half.
Umaxo
<Moderator's note: Moved from a technical forum and thus no template.>

Hi,

i am quite embarrassed to ask this question, but i am really stuck.

i want to derive length of median of triangle from cosine law and i am getting wrong results. I cannot spot the mistake.

So let's have a triange with sides a,b and c. I would like to find length of a median from vertex A to its opposite side a. Let's call the legth d. So i get two triangles from my original one. One has sides a/2,b,d and the second a/2,c,d. Thus i can write two cosine laws:

$$
a^2/4=b^2+d^2-2*b*d*\cos(\alpha/2)
$$
$$
a^2/4=c^2+d^2-2*c*d*\cos(\alpha/2)
$$
where ##\alpha## is angle in vertex A. When i get rid of cosine and solve for d, i get:
$$
d=\sqrt (b*c+a^2/4)
$$

which is wrong (the answer should look like this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Median_(geometry), or one can just try the formula for equilateral triangle (in this case both equations reduce to the same, but i guess one can take the limit to be able to apply formula even for this case)). Can you help me to spot the mistake?

Physics news on Phys.org
From your Wikipedia ref, follow the link to Apollonius's theorem and check out the proof. Note that m=a/2.

Okay, i realized median doesn't disect vertex angle in half. Silly me:)

1. What is the Cosine Law?

The Cosine Law, also known as the Law of Cosines, is a mathematical formula used to find the length of a side or angle in a triangle. It relates the lengths of the three sides of a triangle to the cosine of one of its angles.

2. How do you use the Cosine Law to find the length of a median in a triangle?

To find the length of a median in a triangle using the Cosine Law, you will need to know the lengths of the three sides of the triangle and the angle opposite the median. Then, you can use the formula c² = a² + b² - 2ab*cos(C), where c is the length of the median and a and b are the lengths of the other two sides, to solve for the length of the median.

3. Why is the Cosine Law useful in finding the length of a median in a triangle?

The Cosine Law is useful in finding the length of a median in a triangle because it allows us to solve for the length of a side or angle without needing to know all of the other angles and sides in the triangle. This can save time and effort in problem-solving.

4. Can the Cosine Law be used in any type of triangle?

Yes, the Cosine Law can be used in any type of triangle, whether it is acute, right, or obtuse. However, the formula may need to be adjusted depending on the type of triangle (e.g. using the Law of Cosines for an acute triangle and the Law of Cosines for an obtuse triangle).

5. Are there any limitations to using the Cosine Law to find the length of a median in a triangle?

One limitation of using the Cosine Law to find the length of a median in a triangle is that it only works for triangles. It cannot be applied to other polygons. Additionally, if the given angle in the triangle is obtuse, the length of the median may be negative, which is not possible in geometry. In this case, the formula may need to be adjusted or another method may need to be used.