Length of a missing side no angle given :(

In summary, without any additional information such as angles or area, it is not possible to find the missing side of an irregular shaped plot with only 3 given sides. A formula can be written based on the missing information, but without it, the fourth side could have a range of possibilities.
t3rom
I'm given an irregular shaped plot with 3 sides, and have been asked to find the fourth missing side, no other detail is given. Is it possible to find the missing side? If so, then how? Here is what it looks like roughly:

8wids2.jpg

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I don't think that it's possible. What if it looks like this?
polygon.jpg

Looks like you need one more piece of data ... angles, area - etc... however you could write a formula for ? based on the missing info.

Borg said:
I don't think that it's possible. What if it looks like this?
View attachment 79370

That can be a possibility as it's a plot with irregular sides.

Windadct said:
Looks like you need one more piece of data ... angles, area - etc... however you could write a formula for ? based on the missing info.

Can I write a formula without the missing data? If so then how, please elaborate..

t3rom said:
That can be a possibility as it's a plot with irregular sides.
Can I write a formula without the missing data? If so then how, please elaborate..

Draw a diagonal and apply the cosine rule.

t3rom said:
I'm given an irregular shaped plot with 3 sides, and have been asked to find the fourth missing side, no other detail is given. Is it possible to find the missing side? If so, then how? Here is what it looks like roughly:

8wids2.jpg
It's not possible to find the fourth side, assuming that all we know is the lengths of the three sides. The fourth side could be anywhere from 0 to (a triangle) to 29.9 + 19.5 + 30.05 (in which you get a straight line.

FAQ: Length of a missing side no angle given :(

1. What is the formula for finding the length of a missing side when no angle is given?

The formula for finding the length of a missing side when no angle is given is the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides.

2. How do I use the Pythagorean theorem to find the length of a missing side when no angle is given?

To use the Pythagorean theorem, you will need to know the lengths of the other two sides of the right triangle. You can then plug those values into the formula a^2 + b^2 = c^2, where c represents the length of the hypotenuse. Solve for c by taking the square root of both sides of the equation.

3. Can I use the Pythagorean theorem to find the length of a missing side if the triangle is not a right triangle?

No, the Pythagorean theorem can only be used to find the length of a missing side in a right triangle. If the triangle is not a right triangle, you will need to use a different formula or method to find the missing side length.

4. Are there any other methods for finding the length of a missing side when no angle is given?

Yes, there are other methods for finding the length of a missing side when no angle is given. One method is using trigonometric ratios, such as sine, cosine, and tangent. Another method is using the Law of Cosines, which can be used for any type of triangle, not just right triangles.

5. Is it possible to find the length of a missing side when no angle is given if I only know one of the other side lengths?

No, it is not possible to find the length of a missing side when no angle is given if you only know one of the other side lengths. You will need to know at least two side lengths or one side length and one angle measure in order to use the Pythagorean theorem or other methods to find the missing side length.

Back