Lenses Coursework Need Your Help

In summary, the conversation discusses using a graphical approach to determine the difference in focal length of a lens when used with red and green light. The equation 1/u + 1/v = 1/f is mentioned as well as the inverse relationship between refractive index and wavelength. The speaker also mentions taking measurements and using an LED, lens, white block, and metre ruler to project the image. They ask for help in understanding the results they obtained and if anyone has done something similar before.
Ahem
"To use a graphical approach to determine whether there is a difference between the focal length of a lens when used with red and green light."

What would I expect to see?

What sort of results do you think I will get?

What would be the variable?

I need to use the equation 1/u + 1/v = 1/f can anyone help in explaining it?

Has anyone done anything similar before?

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't remember the exact equation, but I do recall that the refractive index, n, of an object is inversely proportional to the wavelength (i.e. as the wavelength decreases, the amount the light is refracted by increases).

Have you been given any more information then that that you've given in your post? Because, otherwise, I can't see how to do more then give a vague approximation of what would happen.

Well, using a suitable lens I had to take measurements over a range of object and image distances to help me plot the graph. I've got some results, but I don't know if they're correct or suitable.

I'm not sure what you mean in the first half of your post.

My results are all ****ty, say for instance I wanted to make up some results. I'm using an LED with a green and red light, a lens, a white block (improvised as a screen to project the image -red or green light-) and a metre ruler. What sort of results do you think I would get or see?

Anybody??

1. What is the purpose of "Lenses Coursework" and why do I need help?

The purpose of "Lenses Coursework" is to provide a comprehensive understanding of lenses and their applications in various fields such as physics, optics, and photography. You may need help with this coursework if you are struggling to understand the concepts or need assistance with completing assignments.

2. What topics are covered in "Lenses Coursework"?

The topics covered in "Lenses Coursework" may vary depending on the specific course or program, but generally, it includes principles of optics, geometric optics, ray tracing, lens properties, and lens systems. It may also cover advanced topics such as aberrations, lens design, and applications of lenses in different fields.

3. Is prior knowledge of optics or physics required for "Lenses Coursework"?

While having some prior knowledge of optics or physics may be beneficial, it is not always necessary. "Lenses Coursework" is designed to introduce the fundamental concepts and build upon them, so anyone with a basic understanding of mathematics and physics can grasp the concepts covered in the course.

4. Can I get help with my "Lenses Coursework" assignments and projects?

Yes, many resources are available to help you with your "Lenses Coursework" assignments and projects. You can seek assistance from your professor or teaching assistant, join study groups, or use online resources such as tutorials, practice problems, and forums. You can also consider hiring a private tutor for personalized help.

5. How can "Lenses Coursework" benefit me in my career?

Understanding lenses and their applications can be beneficial in various career paths, such as optics, photography, engineering, and research. It can also improve your problem-solving and critical thinking skills, which are highly valued in many industries. Additionally, "Lenses Coursework" can serve as a foundation for further studies and specialization in the field of optics and related areas.