ABCD matrix for an optical system of two thick lenses

In summary, to determine the image location in this system, you will need to calculate the effective focal length of the two lenses, and then use the principal plane equation to determine the ABCD matrix.
Michael Sullivan

Homework Statement

I have an object at distance x1 from the first thick lens(convex) then air at distance x2 to the next thick lens(concave) then air of distance x3 to a mirror. I need to build an ABCD matrix representing this.

Homework Equations

thick lens equation: [ A B ] = [ 1-d/R1 (1-1/n) dn ]
[ C D ] [ -(n-1)(1/R1 -1/R2)+d/R1R2(2-n-1/n) 1+d/R2(1-1/n)]
The above is supposed to be 2x2 matrices.

I think I need the principal planes equation:

[ 1 p2 ] [ A B ] [ 1 p1 ] = [ 1 0 ]
[ 0 0 ] [ C D] [ 0 1 ] [ -1/f_eff 1 ]

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I can figure it out once I get going, but I can't figure out how to reduce the two thick lenses into one effective lens considering the air gap between the two lenses. Also do I need to work the mirror into it from the start?

I am not asking for anyone to do my homework for me, just help to start it.

The end goal will be to determine an image location given the image starting location and position of the lenses and mirror.

Physics news on Phys.org
A:You have to think of the two lenses as one effective lens. To do this, you need to determine a focal length for the system. This is done by first determining the focal length of each lens separately, and then using the thin lens equation to calculate the effective focal length. The thin lens equation is $1/f=(1/f_1)+(1/f_2)-(n_1-1)(1/R_1)-(n_2-1)(1/R_2)+d/(n_1n_2R_1R_2)$Where $f$ is the effective focal length, $f_1$ and $f_2$ are the focal lengths of the two lenses, $R_1$ and $R_2$ are the radii of curvature of the lenses, $n_1$ and $n_2$ are the refractive indices of the lenses, and d is the distance between the lenses. Once you have the focal length of the system, you can work out the ABCD matrix using the principal plane equation you provided.

1. What is an ABCD matrix for an optical system?

An ABCD matrix is a mathematical tool used to describe the properties of an optical system, specifically the transfer of light through the system. It is a 2x2 matrix that contains information about the refractive index, thickness, and curvature of the lenses in the system.

2. How is an ABCD matrix calculated for a two thick lens system?

The ABCD matrix is calculated by multiplying the individual matrices for each lens in the system. The matrix for a single lens is determined by its refractive index, thickness, and curvature, which can be found using equations such as the thin lens formula and the lensmaker's equation.

3. What is the significance of the ABCD matrix in optical systems?

The ABCD matrix allows us to predict the behavior of light as it passes through an optical system. By understanding the properties of each lens and how they affect the matrix, we can determine important characteristics such as the focal length, image formation, and magnification of the system.

4. Can an ABCD matrix be used for non-ideal or complex optical systems?

Yes, an ABCD matrix can be used for a wide range of optical systems, including non-ideal or complex ones. However, the accuracy of the matrix may decrease in these cases and additional corrections or approximations may need to be made.

5. How is the ABCD matrix related to the Gaussian beam propagation equation?

The Gaussian beam propagation equation is a simplified version of the ABCD matrix for Gaussian beams. It is used to predict the propagation of laser beams through optical systems. The ABCD matrix can be used to calculate the parameters needed for the Gaussian beam propagation equation, such as the beam waist and divergence angle.