Lewis structure for Nitrogen Dioxide

In summary: The correct Lewis structure for Nitrogen Dioxide (NO2) may be either Structure 3 or Structure 4.The reason why the electron placement might not be correct is because of chemical resonance.
Bipolarity
I am pondering on what the correct Lewis structure(s) for Nitrogen Dioxide (NO2) may be...
I have come up with 7 possible structures, but am unsure which are correct and which are not. I have compiled a small list of notes for your convenience and they are all in this picture.

Which structure(s) are correct and which are incorrect and why?

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/202/nitrogendioxide.jpg/

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Its a resonance structure that is a combination of structures 3 and 4:
951452623.Ch.2.gif

Think about benzene. Its lewis structure isn't actually this:
benzene.gif

in reality its Lewis structure is this:
Benz3.png

because the double bonds are constantly changing position.

CrimpJiggler said:
Its a resonance structure that is a combination of structures 3 and 4:
951452623.Ch.2.gif

Think about benzene. Its lewis structure isn't actually this:
benzene.gif

in reality its Lewis structure is this:
Benz3.png

because the double bonds are constantly changing position.

But shouldn't the electrons be placed on the more electronegative atom, i.e. oxygen, so that nitrogen gets the lone pair, giving it Lewis structures 1 and 2?

It is chemical resonance, as CrimpJiggler said, but its not so much that the electrons are in constant fluctuation, but rather the odd electrons that could be bonded or non-bonded are involved in a sort of delocalized electron orbital that surrounds the entire molecule, apparently the delocalization of the electrons actually lowers their potential, making the resonant molecule more stable than either standard lewis formation.

In fact, you any valence structure which is compartible with none of the orbitals being filled by more than two electrons and a total of 23 electrons is valid and will contribute to some extent to the true wavefunction of the molecule. The relative importance of the structures depends not only on the molecule itself but also on the orbital basis considered (i.e. s and p type or hybrids, orthogonalized or not).
Nevertheless the two structures shown in the video will probably be most important, at least for a qualitative description of the molecule.

What is the Lewis structure for Nitrogen Dioxide?

The Lewis structure for Nitrogen Dioxide (NO2) consists of a central Nitrogen atom bonded to two Oxygen atoms. The Nitrogen atom has a double bond with one Oxygen atom and a single bond with the other Oxygen atom. The Lewis structure also includes two lone pairs of electrons on the Nitrogen atom.

How many valence electrons does Nitrogen Dioxide have?

Nitrogen Dioxide has a total of 17 valence electrons. Nitrogen has 5 valence electrons and each Oxygen has 6 valence electrons. The Lewis structure for NO2 shows that the Nitrogen atom shares 3 of its valence electrons with each Oxygen atom, leaving 2 lone pairs on the Nitrogen atom.

Why does Nitrogen Dioxide have a bent shape?

Nitrogen Dioxide has a bent shape due to the presence of two lone pairs of electrons on the central Nitrogen atom. These lone pairs repel the bonded pairs of electrons, causing the molecule to take on a bent shape.

What is the formal charge on each atom in the Lewis structure for Nitrogen Dioxide?

The formal charge on the Nitrogen atom in the Lewis structure for Nitrogen Dioxide is 0, since it has 5 valence electrons and is sharing 3 electrons with each Oxygen atom. The formal charge on each Oxygen atom is -1, since they each have 6 valence electrons and are only sharing 2 electrons with the Nitrogen atom.

Is the Lewis structure for Nitrogen Dioxide the most stable structure?

No, the Lewis structure for Nitrogen Dioxide is not the most stable structure. In reality, Nitrogen Dioxide exists as a resonance hybrid, meaning that the double bond can exist between either of the Oxygen atoms. This allows for the molecule to distribute charge and become more stable.