LHC Shutdown over fears of mini-white holes.

In summary, the Large Hadron Collider was unexpectedly shut down due to concerns about possible miniature white holes, which are the opposite of black holes. This news caused some panic and confusion, and even prompted people to search for more information about white holes. However, it was ultimately revealed to be an April Fool's joke.
gabbagabbahey
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I was checking the news this morning when I happened upon this shocking story:

In a surprise move, the Large Hadron Collider was shut down indefinitely Thursday morning, over fears raised about possible miniature white holes. Previous concerns in the general public about miniature black holes were dismissed by the scientific community, but now a renowned scientist has raised alarm bells over the formation of miniature white holes, the theoretical opposite to the more familiar black hole.

http://ste5ens.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/april-fool-illus.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Good one. :p

I was totally freaking out for a second.

I love it, thank you.:!)

Thank God this wasn't an actual april fools by a major news organization with an article and everything because I can guarantee a huge portion of the population would believe it!

got me

Pengwuino said:
Thank God this wasn't an actual april fools by a major news organization with an article and everything because I can guarantee a huge portion of the population would believe it!

Hahahahaha imagine that?

@zomgwtf hahaha true that!

@everyone College humor did an In-n-out joke saying that they were coming to new york, and I think the NYT did an article on it being for real.

Now I have to google white hole :biggrin:

Mentallic said:
Now I have to google white hole :biggrin:

The concept is best explained in a Red Dwarf episode:smile: Much more reliable than Google.

1. What is the LHC Shutdown over fears of mini-white holes?

The LHC Shutdown over fears of mini-white holes refers to the temporary halt of operations at the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) due to safety concerns surrounding the potential creation of mini-white holes, which are hypothetical objects that could form when particles collide at high energies.

2. Why are mini-white holes a safety concern at the LHC?

Mini-white holes, if they were to exist, could potentially grow and consume nearby matter, posing a risk to the safety of the LHC and those operating it. However, there is currently no scientific evidence to suggest that these objects actually exist.

3. Is there any evidence that mini-white holes have been created at the LHC?

No, there is no evidence that mini-white holes have been created at the LHC. The possibility of their creation is based on theoretical predictions, but there has been no experimental confirmation of their existence.

4. How long will the LHC Shutdown last?

The LHC Shutdown is expected to last for a few months while the safety concerns surrounding mini-white holes are investigated and addressed. However, the exact duration of the shutdown may vary depending on the results of these investigations.

5. What measures are being taken to ensure the safety of the LHC and its operators?

The European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN), which operates the LHC, is working closely with a team of experts to thoroughly assess the potential risks of mini-white holes and implement any necessary safety measures. This includes conducting additional studies and simulations to better understand the potential impact of these objects on the LHC and its surroundings.