LHC Shutdown over fears of mini-white holes.

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 4K views
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Messages
5,000
Reaction score
7
I was checking the news this morning when I happened upon this shocking story:

In a surprise move, the Large Hadron Collider was shut down indefinitely Thursday morning, over fears raised about possible miniature white holes. Previous concerns in the general public about miniature black holes were dismissed by the scientific community, but now a renowned scientist has raised alarm bells over the formation of miniature white holes, the theoretical opposite to the more familiar black hole.

http://ste5ens.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/april-fool-illus.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thank God this wasn't an actual april fools by a major news organization with an article and everything because I can guarantee a huge portion of the population would believe it!
 
Pengwuino said:
Thank God this wasn't an actual april fools by a major news organization with an article and everything because I can guarantee a huge portion of the population would believe it!

Hahahahaha imagine that?
 
@zomgwtf hahaha true that!

@everyone College humor did an In-n-out joke saying that they were coming to new york, and I think the NYT did an article on it being for real.
 
Mentallic said:
Now I have to google white hole :biggrin:

The concept is best explained in a Red Dwarf episode:smile: Much more reliable than Google.