Solve L'Hopital's Rule for y(t) at Limit of t to Infinity

• Thread starter dm164
  • Start date
  • Tags
    l'hopital
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of L'Hopital's rule to solve the limit of a formula involving t to infinity. The conversation also explores alternative methods, such as taking vt out from under the square root, to find the solution. Ultimately, through inspection and analysis, it is determined that the limit is equal to v.
dm164
So I've come across this formula that I derived. y(t) =v2t/√(v2t2+b2)

I would like to solve the limit of t to infinity analytically. When I apply L'Hopital I get
y = lim v2 / lim v2t/√(v2t2+b2)

but as you can see I would have to apply L'Hopital rule an infinite amount of times, now I don't know if you say it becomes x/(x/(x/..))). with x= v2 whatever value that is.

By inspection of a grapher I would say it's v , it also looks like v*sin(arctan(v/b*t)), which at t-> arctan -> pi/2 then sin() -> 1 so the answer is v. But, how do I know arctan(t) t->inf it pi/2 besides geometrically it makes sense.

Any ideas about the infinite L'Hopital, or infinite divisions how something like that could be solved.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You mean find ##L:## $$L=\lim_{t \rightarrow \infty}\frac{v^2t}{\sqrt{v^2 t^2 +b}}$$

I'd be inclined to take the vt out from under the square root. ##b/v^2t^2\rightarrow 0##.

Under L'Hopital, if you just keep repeating it, I suspect you'll and up finding L=f(L) ...and solve for L.

Likes 1 person
dm164 said:
I would like to solve the limit of t to infinity analytically. When I apply L'Hopital I get
y = lim v2 / lim v2t/√(v2t2+b2)

You mean that you get
[tex]\lim_{t \to \infty} y = \frac{\lim_{t \to \infty} v^2}{ \lim_{t \to \infty} \left( \frac{v^2 t}{\sqrt{v^2 t^2 + b^2}} \right) }[/tex]
(note I put the missing limit on the left hand side), i.e.
[tex]\lim_{t \to \infty} y = \frac{\lim_{t \to \infty} v^2}{\lim_{t \to \infty} y} ?[/tex]

In Simon's notation, that would be
[tex]L = \frac{\ldots}{L}[/tex]
except that you don't have to apply L'Hopital more than once.

Likes 1 person
The same trick is often used in integration by parts.
Y'know, I'd never heard of L'Hopital before I started at this forum. It would have been handy. But in this case, do you really need it? Oh well, never mind.

Aside:
The only stupid question is the one you don't ask. The only stupid person is the one who pretends to know.
"Remember children: there are no stupid questions, only stupid people."
-- Mr Garrett (Southpark)​

Simon Bridge said:
I'd be inclined to take the vt out from under the square root. ##b/v^2t^2\rightarrow 0##.

Ah yeah, didn't see that way.

CompuChip said:
You mean that you get

[tex]\lim_{t \to \infty} y = \frac{\lim_{t \to \infty} v^2}{\lim_{t \to \infty} y} ?[/tex]

In Simon's notation, that would be
∴[tex]L = \frac{\ldots}{L}[/tex]
except that you don't have to apply L'Hopital more than once.

Oh sure, kind of seems silly now [tex]\lim_{t \to \infty} y =√(\lim_{t \to \infty} v^2)= v[/tex]

Always good to know a fews ways to an answer.

1. What is L'Hopital's Rule?

L'Hopital's Rule is a mathematical technique used to evaluate limits of indeterminate forms, such as 0/0 or ∞/∞. It states that if the limit of a fraction f(x)/g(x) at a particular point is indeterminate, then the limit of the ratio of their derivatives f'(x)/g'(x) at that same point will be equal to the original limit.

2. How do you apply L'Hopital's Rule?

To apply L'Hopital's Rule, you first need to identify the indeterminate form of the limit. Then, take the derivatives of both the numerator and denominator of the fraction and evaluate the new fraction at the same point. If the resulting limit is still indeterminate, you can repeat the process until the limit becomes determinate or it is clear that the limit does not exist.

3. What is the importance of L'Hopital's Rule?

L'Hopital's Rule is important because it provides a method for solving limits that would otherwise be impossible to evaluate. It is especially useful in calculus and other advanced mathematical applications where limits play a crucial role.

4. When should L'Hopital's Rule be used?

L'Hopital's Rule should only be used when you have an indeterminate form, such as 0/0 or ∞/∞, in a limit. It is not applicable for other types of limits, and there are alternative methods for solving those types of limits.

5. Can L'Hopital's Rule be used to solve limits at infinity?

Yes, L'Hopital's Rule can be used to solve limits at infinity, as long as the original limit is in an indeterminate form. It can also be applied to limits at negative infinity by taking the derivative of the negative reciprocal of the original function.