L'Hopital's Rule Homework: Evaluating Limit as x→0

In summary: That's correct. In summary, the limit of log(coshx)/x2 as x approaches 0 is equal to 1/2 by using L'Hopital's rule twice.
kd001

Homework Statement

Evalutate the limit, as x approaches 0, log(coshx)/x2

Homework Equations

L'Hopital's rule

The Attempt at a Solution

I can get as far as (sinhx.cosh-1x)/2x by differentiating the top and bottom separately. I'm not sure how to do the next differentiation.

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Be careful about writing cosh-1 x; that means something quite different from what you mean.

So you have quite rightly differentiated top and bottom, leaving you with:

[tex] \frac{\frac{sinh x}{cosh x}}{2x} [/tex]

Fix up that fraction so that it is in a more usual form (ie, move the cosh x to the denominator), and then apply L'Hopital's rule again.

kd001 said:

Homework Statement

Evalutate the limit, as x approaches 0, log(coshx)/x2

Homework Equations

L'Hopital's rule

The Attempt at a Solution

I can get as far as (sinhx.cosh-1x)/2x by differentiating the top and bottom separately. I'm not sure how to do the next differentiation.

Thanks for any help.

By cosh-1x, you really mean 1/cosh x, but this notation suggests the inverse cosh function. Don't write cosh-1x if you mean 1/cosh x.

Your numerator is sinh(x)/cosh(x) = tanh(x). Since the numerator approaches zero, and 2x approaches zero, use L'Hopital's Rule another time.

Here's what I've done. I've treated the numerator as being sinhx/coshx and differentiated it to get (1/cosh2x). I've treated denominator as being 2x and differentiated it to get 2. Therefore I end up with (1/cosh2x)/2 which gives 1/2 as x approaches 0. Is this the correct answer?

Yup.

Related to L'Hopital's Rule Homework: Evaluating Limit as x→0

1. What is L'Hopital's Rule?

L'Hopital's Rule is a mathematical principle that allows us to evaluate limits involving indeterminate forms, such as 0/0 or ∞/∞. It states that if the limit of a quotient of two functions is indeterminate, then the limit of the quotient of the derivatives of those functions will be equal to the original limit.

2. When can L'Hopital's Rule be applied?

L'Hopital's Rule can only be applied when the limit involves an indeterminate form, such as 0/0 or ∞/∞. It cannot be used in cases where the limit is already defined or approaches a finite value.

3. How do you use L'Hopital's Rule to evaluate a limit?

To use L'Hopital's Rule, first check if the limit is in an indeterminate form. If it is, take the derivative of the numerator and the denominator separately. Then, evaluate the limit of the new quotient. If the new limit is still indeterminate, repeat the process until a definitive answer is obtained or the limit is proven to not exist.

4. Can L'Hopital's Rule be used for all types of limits?

No, L'Hopital's Rule can only be used for limits that involve indeterminate forms. It cannot be used for limits that are already defined or approach a finite value. Additionally, it can only be applied in certain situations, such as when the limit is approaching a specific value or infinity.

5. Are there any limitations or exceptions to L'Hopital's Rule?

Yes, there are a few limitations and exceptions to L'Hopital's Rule. For example, it cannot be used when the limit involves a difference or product of two functions. Additionally, it may not work for more complex limits or when the functions involved are not differentiable. It is also important to note that L'Hopital's Rule is not a magic formula and may not always provide a definitive answer.