Lie Algebras: A Walkthrough The Structures - Comments

In summary, the conversation revolves around a new blog post by Greg Bernhardt on Lie Algebras and their structures. The post is in multiple parts, with the second part already published and a third part in the works. The conversation also touches upon the possibility of adding more parts, such as representations and Lie groups, but the author plans to stick with the three parts titled "A Walkthrough". The topic of the blog post is the Killing-form and its relation to angles, with a brief mention of potential technical difficulties in explaining the concept.
fresh_42
Mentor
Insights Author
2023 Award
Greg Bernhardt submitted a new blog post

Lie Algebras: A Walkthrough The Structures
lie_algebra_structure.png

Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

Attachments

• lie_algebra_structure.png
    lie_algebra_structure.png
    24.5 KB · Views: 799
Likes A. Neumaier, QuantumQuest and Wrichik Basu
Physics news on Phys.org
That is quite fast! Thanks for the next part. I couldn't even finish the first when you posted the second.

By the way, how many parts will be there in total?

Wrichik Basu said:
That is quite fast! Thanks for the next part. I couldn't even finish the first when you posted the second.

By the way, how many parts will be there in total?
Three. The next (and as of yet last part) will be "Representations", but I only have the rough concept and two pages yet, so it will take a bit longer. The difficulty is to get through without slipping into too many technical details.

Theoretically one could add even more parts, e.g. cohomologies, but for these I'd have to (re-)learn them first and I'm not sure, whether these are interesting enough. Lie groups would be another possibility, but they are a subject on their own. So I will stick with the three parts - as titled "A Walkthrough".

Likes Wrichik Basu
''The Killing-form defines angels.''

I guess you meant angles...

A. Neumaier said:
''The Killing-form defines angels.''

I guess you meant angles...
Thank you. Seems I cannot completely eliminate this one, it happens to me from time to time.

1. What is a Lie algebra?

A Lie algebra is a mathematical structure that studies the algebraic properties of vector spaces equipped with a bilinear operation called the Lie bracket. It is used to study the symmetries of geometric objects and is an important tool in areas such as physics and differential geometry.

2. What are the key components of a Lie algebra?

A Lie algebra consists of a vector space, a bilinear operation called the Lie bracket, and a set of axioms that define the properties of the Lie bracket. The vector space is usually over a field of real or complex numbers, and the Lie bracket satisfies the properties of skew-symmetry, bilinearity, and the Jacobi identity.

3. How are Lie algebras used in physics?

Lie algebras are used in physics to study the symmetries of physical systems. For example, the Lie algebra of rotations in three-dimensional space is used to study the symmetries of rigid bodies. In quantum mechanics, Lie algebras are used to study the symmetries of quantum systems.

4. What is the significance of the Jacobi identity in Lie algebras?

The Jacobi identity is a key property of the Lie bracket in a Lie algebra. It states that the Lie bracket of three elements must satisfy a specific relation, and it is crucial for the consistency and structure of the algebra. If the Jacobi identity is not satisfied, the algebra is not a Lie algebra.

5. Are there any real-world applications of Lie algebras?

Yes, Lie algebras have many real-world applications, particularly in physics and engineering. They are used to study the symmetries of physical systems, to model the behavior of complex systems, and to solve differential equations. They are also used in robotics, computer graphics, and control theory.