1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lie derivative of covariant vector

1. Nov 4, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Derive [itex]L_v(u_a)=v^b \partial_b u_a + u_b \partial_a v^b[/itex]

2. Relevant equations
    [itex]L_v(w^a)=v^b \partial_b w^a - w^b \partial_b v^a[/itex]

[itex]L_v(f)=v^a \partial_a f[/itex] where f is a scalar.

3. The attempt at a solution
    In the end I get stuck with something like this,
    [itex]L_v(u_a)w^a=v^b u_a \partial_b w^a -u_a v^b \partial_b w^a +v^b w ^a \partial_b u_a +u_a w^b \partial_b v^a [/itex]
    Which makes me think I am on the right way, but I end up with
    [itex]L_v(u_a)w^a=v^b w ^a \partial_b u_a +u_a w^b \partial_b v^a [/itex]

Which is what I want if I can change place of a and b in the last term only. But I am not allowed to do that just like that right?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2012 #2
    Of course you are. There's no significance to what letter you use to represent the sums. [itex] u^a v_a = u^b v_b = u^\Upsilon v_\Upsilon [/itex] all mean exactly the same thing.

4. Nov 5, 2012 #3
    Really? I guess I am not used to the einstein notation contention. How can you see what indexes are free and which ones are dummy?
    I thought since I was to determine [itex]L_v(u_a)[/itex] then a was a free index, and thus if I change in one of the terms I have to change in all of the terms. (Which would not lead to the correct result in this case)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook