Life After a Terrible Test: Majoring in a Field I Don't Like

• Thread starter lordy12
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Life
In summary, don't let one test determine your future. Look at Edward Witten- he majored in history, yet is a string theorist. And, if you struggle with one class or exam, there are plenty of options available to you.
lordy12
I did well on all previous tests but I did terrible on this one. I really wanted to major in computational finance, but now I'm stuck with a major I don't like. I don't know what to do. One test shouldn't determine my ultimate fate.

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't worry about it. Your undergraduate major doesn't determine your future. Look at Edward Witten. Majored in history, yet is a string theorist.

Last edited:
And let me tell ya, if Ed Witten can do it, then anybody can! ; )

"One test shouldn't determine my ultimate fate."

You are correct. And it won't, as long as you don't let it!

Life is unfair, you say?

I've often heard this sentiment expressed by students, and I think it reflects unreasonable expectations about life. Let's replace "one test" with "one event":

I don't think one event should determine the course of my life.

Bad things happen, at times, to everyone. The true test of character, the pundits say, is how one responds to setbacks. Once you get over the disappointment, I expect you will be able to identify new opportunities. Its not impossible that twenty years from now you might say "one event determined the course of my life", but be referring to something you are glad happened to you.

If it's just one test, even if it killed your grade in the course (so just one course might be more apt), can't you retake the course? If the major is interesting enough to you, the only way one class or exam is going to get in your way is if you let it. Especially if you're doing well in everything else, one bad grade isn't going to destroy your career goals. And, since you know you struggled with it, plan ahead to get some tutoring, or to spend a lot of time at your professor's office hours if you retake it.

Related to Life After a Terrible Test: Majoring in a Field I Don't Like

1. What should I do if I major in a field I don't like?

It's important to evaluate why you chose this major in the first place. Did you have a genuine interest in the subject or was it pressure from family or peers? If it was pressure, consider switching to a major that aligns more with your interests and passions. If you did have a genuine interest, try exploring different courses within your major to find a specific area that you enjoy. You can also seek advice from academic advisors or career counselors.

2. Will majoring in a field I don't like affect my future career prospects?

It's possible that majoring in a field you don't like could limit your career options, but it ultimately depends on your specific field and the job market. However, it's never too late to switch majors or pursue additional education or training to gain skills in a different field. Employers also value transferrable skills such as critical thinking, communication, and problem-solving, which can be gained through any major.

3. How can I stay motivated and succeed in a major I don't enjoy?

One approach is to find ways to connect your major to your interests and goals. For example, if you're majoring in biology but love photography, you could focus on studying wildlife photography or use your knowledge of biology to photograph nature. It's also helpful to set specific and achievable goals for yourself, seek support from friends and family, and remind yourself of the long-term benefits of your major.

4. Should I drop out of college if I don't like my major?

This decision ultimately depends on your individual circumstances. Dropping out of college can have significant consequences and it's important to consider the potential impact on your future career and financial stability. If you're struggling with your major, it may be helpful to take a break and explore other options before making a decision to drop out completely. You can also consider changing your major or transferring to a different college.

5. Is it normal to not enjoy my major?

It's common for students to have doubts and frustrations about their chosen major, especially in the early years of college. However, if you consistently feel unhappy and uninterested in your major, it may be worth reevaluating your choices. It's important to remember that it's never too late to make a change and pursue a different path. Don't be afraid to seek guidance from mentors, advisors, or career counselors to help you make the best decision for your future.