Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Light a light bulb with no contact?

1. Jan 5, 2009 #1
    Hi,

Is it possible to make a standard light bulb light without any physical contact to it (appart from support)?
    I seem to remember seeing such an experiment, but can't remember the details.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2009 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

4. Jan 5, 2009 #3
    Not that I recommend doing this, but if you can find a safe way to suspend a florescent light bulb near a high tension wire you will see it light up, even if the cathode is burnt out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_energy_transfer

5. Jan 6, 2009 #4
    Japan has an official project to deploy orbiting solar panels and transfer the energy to earth with lasers. Currently around 40% efficiency they are spending tons of cash on getting that number higher so that it could compete cost wise with more traditional electricity generation.

6. Jan 6, 2009 #5
    Or (I would not recommend it either :D) put the fluorescent bulb in a microwave oven..!!
    I will light up.....although the metal parts might spark or arc off!!
    (Its dangerous to put metals in a microwave oven. Dont try this, but those who have
    tried had demonstrated that they will bulb will light up).

7. Jan 6, 2009 #6
  8. Jan 7, 2009 #7
    If you could induce a electromagnetic field and put it in the field, the light bulb may light up. There is also the other methods mentioned above, although I would not recommend the powerline or the microwave for obvious reasons.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?