Light and Doppler effect paradox?

In summary: What about the source?In summary, the paradox is resolved in the sense that the device does not explode in any reference frame, but its detection abilities are degraded as the observer moves faster.
Boorglar
Hello, I just thought of something that looks like a paradox to me. Suppose you have a device which can detect a light source's frequency, and will explode if the frequency exceeds a threshold value [itex]f_t[/itex]. Place this device stationary wrt the light source. Now, suppose there are two observers, one stationary, and one moving towards the light source fast enough at constant speed. By the Doppler effect, the moving observer will see the frequency larger than [itex]f_t[/itex], and so the device should explode in his frame of reference. But the stationary observer sees a frequency less than [itex]f_t[/itex], so the device does not explode in his reference frame.

I don't even think the effects of special relativity would be relevant here. You could set up the light source to emit at a frequency [itex]f_t - \epsilon[/itex] (for some [itex]\epsilon > 0[/itex]), and have the device be sensitive enough to detect the variation of frequency that occurs by moving with some reasonable speed v << c that is sufficient to cause a frequency shift of [itex] 2 \epsilon [/itex].

Science news on Phys.org
Clearly you cannot have something explode in one frame but not in another, so what do you think the resolution of the apparent paradox is. Maybe think of how you would build a detector which could detect a light source's frequency.

My guess is that obviously the device will not explode in any reference frame. But then this would imply that the device's detection abilities are degraded as the observer moves faster, which also seems strange. A possible detector would be something based on the photoelectric effect, where the threshold frequency corresponds to an electric circuit turning on...

What paradox? Just because the observer sees a moving detector and a certain frequency of light, does not mean he gets to determine under what conditions it explodes.

Boorglar said:
My guess is that obviously the device will not explode in any reference frame.
No. The only reference frame that matters to the detector is its own reference frame.
The stationary observer must take into account the relative motion of the detector and the light impinging on it. (Note that the SO sees the detector as time dilated).

Well, in this setup, the stationary observer is in the same frame as the detector (they're both stationary wrt the light source). The "paradox", as I see it for now, is that in a different frame, the apparent functionality of the device is not the same. Using the photoelectric effect mechanism, for example, a moving observer would see photons hitting the detector with frequency f larger than [itex]f_t[/itex], which should trigger the circuit (but don't).

Boorglar said:
A possible detector would be something based on the photoelectric effect, where the threshold frequency corresponds to an electric circuit turning on...
The threshold frequency of what? Is the threshold frequency the frequency of the source? If not then what frequency is it?

Sorry, I meant the threshold frequency of the detector. The circuit will turn on if the frequency of the light source photons is greater than the threshold frequency [itex]f_t[/itex].

How does it know what the source frequency is?

Hm I was thinking of using the photoelectric effect. The energy of photons hitting the detector would have to be larger than the work function of the material, and this would produce a current in the circuit. Since the energy of photons is proportional to their frequency, that would be a way to detect frequency.

So one could find a material with the appropriate work function such that [itex]\frac{W_f} {h} = f_t [/itex] is the threshold frequency.

Last edited:
Boorglar said:
hitting the detector
Note that you mentioned "hitting the detector" and not "leaving the source". Think about this a bit.

What actually determines if the threshold is reached? Is it the frequency emitted? Is it the frequency received? How does motion of the source change things? What about motion of the detector?

It would be the frequency received. Oh I think I understand what you mean. It doesn't actually matter what the moving observer sees. He could just as well see gamma rays hitting the detector, but what matters is what the detector itself sees, which can be calculated knowing its velocity relative to the observer and the light source.

So basically, saying that some object was hit by light of a certain frequency is not enough. One also needs to specify which reference frame was used to measure the frequency.

Likes DaveC426913
Yes.

If you look into the details the derivation of the photoelectric effect assumes that the metal is at rest. So that is the important frame.

Boorglar said:
It would be the frequency received. Oh I think I understand what you mean. It doesn't actually matter what the moving observer sees. He could just as well see gamma rays hitting the detector, but what matters is what the detector itself sees, which can be calculated knowing its velocity relative to the observer and the light source.

So basically, saying that some object was hit by light of a certain frequency is not enough. One also needs to specify which reference frame was used to measure the frequency.
An analogy: in your frame you see (= you "measure") a giant asteroid (let's say m = 10^12 kg) hitting at velocity v = 100,000 m/s in the +x direction a little planet which is moving at 99,999.999 m/s in the same direction. Will the asteroid do a great damage to the litte planet?

--
lightarrow

Last edited:

1. What is the Doppler effect?

The Doppler effect is the apparent change in frequency of a wave due to the relative motion between the source of the wave and the observer. This effect is commonly heard in the change in pitch of a siren as it approaches and then passes by a stationary listener.

2. How does the Doppler effect affect light?

The Doppler effect also applies to light waves. When the source of light is moving towards or away from the observer, the observed wavelength of the light will be shifted towards the blue or red end of the electromagnetic spectrum, respectively. This is known as the redshift or blueshift.

3. What is the paradox of the Doppler effect and light?

The paradox of the Doppler effect and light arises when considering the speed of light, which is constant in all reference frames according to Einstein's theory of relativity. This poses a challenge when trying to reconcile the observed redshift or blueshift of light with the principle of the constancy of the speed of light.

4. How is the paradox resolved?

The paradox is resolved by considering the effects of time dilation and length contraction, which are predicted by the theory of relativity. As an object moves closer to the speed of light, time will appear to slow down and the length of the object will appear to contract in the direction of motion. This allows for the observed redshift or blueshift of light to be explained without violating the constancy of the speed of light.

5. Are there any practical applications of the Doppler effect and light?

Yes, the Doppler effect and light have several practical applications. For example, it is used in Doppler radar to measure the velocity and direction of moving objects, such as weather patterns. It is also used in astronomy to measure the relative motion of celestial objects and in medical imaging techniques such as Doppler ultrasound to measure blood flow and diagnose medical conditions.