Light Collection Efficiency for Liquid Scintillation Detecto

How do I calculate the light yield and light collection efficiency of a liquid scintillation detector? Couls someone give me a formula for that? What data do I need to calculate it?

THanks a bunch!

Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
How do I calculate the light yield and light collection efficiency of a liquid scintillation detector? Couls someone give me a formula for that? What data do I need to calculate it?

THanks a bunch!
How many photomultiplier tubes is one using. What is the geometry of the scintillator and the location of the PM tube or tubes?

One has to look at the geometric efficiency and the attenuation within the scintillator material.

For the system, one has to consider the geometric efficiency of the source with respect to the scintillator. If the source is immersed/dissolved within the scintillator, the geometric efficiency is close to 1, but there will be some edge losses, unless the scintillator is completely surrounded by PM detectors.