Light Reflection Mystery at the Rijksmuseum Amsterdam

In summary, the conversation discusses the colors seen in a photo taken at the Rijksmuseum Amsterdam and the causes behind them. The reflection of a silver object in the photo appears to be different colors in different panes of glass, with a blue reflection behind it and orange/red reflections on the sides. One possible explanation offered is that there are different colored light sources on each side, including a yellowish light on top. Another suggestion is that the glass panes have anti-reflection coatings, causing selective reflections from thin layers. The conversation ends with a question about how anti-reflection layers work.
thepopasmurf
I took this photo in the Rijksmuseum Amsterdam. I hope it can be seen but the reflection of this silver thing is different colours in the different panes of glass. (Blue behind it, orange/red to the sides). What causes this effect? And why the particular colours?

http://a.imagehost.org/0777/light_effect.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
is it a possibility that there's different colored light sources from each side? and the yellowish light on top of it which gives the object itself golden look?
dont laugh me out.

I'm fairly sure there aren't any different colour lights. As far as I can remember, there were white lights mounted on the ceiling.

Were the glass panes coated with anti-reflex layers?
It looks like selective reflections from thin layers. The normal reflection (front) selects shorter wavelength (blue) and the sides select longer wavelengths (at a larger angle).

I don't know. Seems likely if that anti-reflex stuff causes those kind of effects. Follow up question: Does anyone know how anti-reflex layers work?

Related to Light Reflection Mystery at the Rijksmuseum Amsterdam

1. What is the Rijksmuseum Amsterdam?

The Rijksmuseum Amsterdam is a Dutch national museum located in Amsterdam, Netherlands. It is dedicated to arts and history and houses more than 8,000 objects across 80 galleries.

2. What is the "Light Reflection Mystery" at the Rijksmuseum Amsterdam?

The "Light Reflection Mystery" is an optical illusion that occurs in the Rijksmuseum Amsterdam's Gallery of Honor. The gallery features large windows that reflect light onto the paintings, making them appear brighter and more vibrant.

3. How does the "Light Reflection Mystery" affect the viewing experience at the Rijksmuseum Amsterdam?

The "Light Reflection Mystery" enhances the viewing experience by creating a unique lighting effect on the paintings. This effect adds depth and dimension to the artworks, making them even more captivating to the viewer.

4. Is the "Light Reflection Mystery" a deliberate design choice by the Rijksmuseum Amsterdam?

No, the "Light Reflection Mystery" is not a deliberate design choice. The large windows in the Gallery of Honor were originally designed to provide natural light for the paintings. The light reflection onto the paintings was discovered by accident, but has since become a beloved feature of the museum.

5. How does light reflection impact the preservation of the paintings at the Rijksmuseum Amsterdam?

The light reflection at the Rijksmuseum Amsterdam is carefully controlled to prevent any damage to the paintings. The museum utilizes special UV-filtering windows and adjusts the lighting throughout the day to minimize the amount of light reflection on the paintings.