Light Refraction on the Surface of a Sphere

In summary, the conversation discusses the application of Snell's Law in calculating the angle of refraction in a 3-dimensional situation, specifically in a sphere. The question is raised on how to trace the refracted ray on an arbitrary plane and find its relation to the origin. The use of vector math is suggested as the simplest method. The conversation also highlights the importance of not overlooking the first law of refraction when teaching Snell's Law.
C. C.
Hello All,
Using Snell's Law, it is pretty obvious how to calculate the angle of refraction when both index of refractions are known. My question is how would I apply this to a 3 dimensional situation, such as light refraction in a sphere? Since there are two angles in relation to the normal, how can I calculate the refraction? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Science news on Phys.org
See this, for example. There are two "laws of refraction". Unfortunately too many times the first one is overlooked.

http://www.learnquebec.ca/en/content/curriculum/mst/opticks/chapter3/4_perception3.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the link. You are absolutely correct that the first law is neglected when Snell's Law is taught. Since a new plane is formed from the surface normal and an incident ray, how would I go about tracing the refracted ray? Using Snell's Law, I can find the refracted ray on the new plane, but how can I track the refracted ray since it is on an arbitrary plane and can I find a relation to the origin? I guess the difficult part is trying to visualize this scenario. I hope that you can again point me in the right direction.

1. What is light refraction on the surface of a sphere?

Light refraction on the surface of a sphere is the bending of light as it passes through the curved surface of a sphere. This phenomenon occurs due to the change in speed of light as it moves from one medium to another.

2. Why does light refract on the surface of a sphere?

Light refracts on the surface of a sphere because the curvature of the surface causes the light rays to change direction as they pass through the medium. This change in direction is due to the change in speed of light as it moves from air to a denser medium, such as glass or water.

3. How does the curvature of a sphere affect light refraction?

The curvature of a sphere plays a significant role in light refraction. The greater the curvature of the surface, the more the light rays bend as they pass through it. This is because the change in direction is more pronounced when the light rays are passing through a smaller area of the surface.

4. What factors can affect light refraction on the surface of a sphere?

The main factors that can affect light refraction on the surface of a sphere include the curvature of the surface, the angle at which the light enters the sphere, and the difference in refractive index between the two mediums. The refractive index is a measure of how much the speed of light changes when passing through a medium.

5. What are some real-life applications of light refraction on the surface of a sphere?

Light refraction on the surface of a sphere has many practical applications, such as in lenses for glasses and cameras, telescopes, and microscopes. It is also used in the design of optical instruments, such as binoculars and projectors. Additionally, the phenomenon of light refraction on the surface of a sphere is essential in understanding the behavior of light in nature, such as the formation of rainbows and mirages.