1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Light Refraction on the Surface of a Sphere

1. Apr 9, 2015 #1
    Hello All,
    Using Snell's Law, it is pretty obvious how to calculate the angle of refraction when both index of refractions are known. My question is how would I apply this to a 3 dimensional situation, such as light refraction in a sphere? Since there are two angles in relation to the normal, how can I calculate the refraction? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2015 #2
    See this, for example. There are two "laws of refraction". Unfortunately too many times the first one is overlooked.

http://www.learnquebec.ca/en/content/curriculum/mst/opticks/chapter3/4_perception3.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  4. Apr 13, 2015 #3
    Thanks for the link. You are absolutely correct that the first law is neglected when Snell's Law is taught. Since a new plane is formed from the surface normal and an incident ray, how would I go about tracing the refracted ray? Using Snell's Law, I can find the refracted ray on the new plane, but how can I track the refracted ray since it is on an arbitrary plane and can I find a relation to the origin? I guess the difficult part is trying to visualize this scenario. I hope that you can again point me in the right direction.

5. Apr 13, 2015 #4

A.T.

Science Advisor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook