Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Light Speed Centrifuge?

1. Nov 3, 2012 #1
    something that has been banging around in my head for a few years.

with the development of wonderfully large science devices like the LHC and ISS.. why have we not yet created a centrifuge capable of moving it's test bed at the speed of light? Honestly, with the exception of higher math, we don't have much test capability of what happens at light speed.

What would it take to create a centrifuge which has a, lets say, 1 square meter enclosed box on the end for performing tests in it. (much like the ones used to train astronauts)

Aside from the insane cost of super grade materials, and the possibility that this could need to be based in space. but all of that is "only" money.

I can't believe with current technology and materials that this is impossible to build.

and further, I can only imagine that engineers and physicists would be lined up to put experiments in the box..

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

nothing material can move at the speed of light :frown:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook