Does light speed vary in different gravitational situations?

In summary, The speed of light is always constant for observers, but there are references that suggest it varies in different situations. The documentary mentioned an experiment where light seemed to move at different speeds depending on gravitational forces. This could be due to the Shapiro delay, but it would require a very accurate clock and minimal interference from changing refractive index of air. However, in general relativity, there is no well-defined notion of velocity except for local velocity, so it may not be accurate to assign a velocity to the ray in this experiment.
narrator
I understand that the speed of light is always constant for the observer, but I keep coming across references that suggest it varies in different situations.

What situations, and what frame of reference?

I saw an interesting documentary many years ago. They talked about light moving at different speeds depending on gravitational forces. To test this, they had a plane flying at high altitude. From the ground, they shot laser pulses at it and timed the reflected response, comparing it to a laser shot across land. The experiment worked and there was cheering in the streets ;)

Space news on Phys.org
The speed of light is a constant for all observers, for all of everything, always.

It sounds like the experiment was observing http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_dilation"

Last edited by a moderator:
zhermes said:
The speed of light is a constant for all observers, for all of everything, always.
He may have been referring to the speed of light in a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refractive_index" as demonstrating a varying speed of light. However, all such effects in GR are global measures of the speed of light, which is not required to be constant. Rather it is local measures (since locally GR reduces to SR) of the speed of light that must (and do) always yield c.
narrator said:
They talked about light moving at different speeds depending on gravitational forces. To test this, they had a plane flying at high altitude. From the ground, they shot laser pulses at it and timed the reflected response, comparing it to a laser shot across land. The experiment worked and there was cheering in the streets ;)
Without more information I can't say for sure but, the Shapiro delay could be measured that way if one had a very accurate clock and the changing index of refraction of air (due to air currents) didn't cause too much trouble (the effect would only be of order 1 nanosecond based on the formula on the wikipedia page).

IsometricPion said:
He may have been referring to the speed of light in a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refractive_index" .
Absolutely, my apologies---I should have been more precise---'speed of light in a vacuum always everywhere constant yadda yadda'

IsometricPion said:
Also, one could interpret results such as the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shapiro_delay" as demonstrating a varying speed of light.
I disagree with you semantically/philosophical... but I think that's fairly irrelevant.

IsometricPion said:
the Shapiro delay could be measured that way if one had a very accurate clock and the changing index of refraction of air (due to air currents) didn't cause too much trouble
The Shapiro effect is measurable from the earth---I think its actually been measured with interferometers on (effectively) just the surface of the Earth as-well (e.g. 100 meter scale).

The way I would put it is that there is no well-defined notion of velocity in GR except for local velocity. So in an experiment like Shapiro's, I would say that it's not even valid to assign a velocity to the ray.

Related to Does light speed vary in different gravitational situations?

1. What is the speed of light?

The speed of light, denoted by the symbol c, is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second in a vacuum. This is considered to be a fundamental constant of nature and is the fastest speed at which energy, information, or matter can travel.

2. Can the speed of light vary?

According to the theories of relativity, the speed of light is constant and cannot vary. However, there are some theoretical models and experiments that suggest the possibility of slight variations in the speed of light in certain conditions.

3. What factors can affect the speed of light?

The speed of light can be affected by the medium through which it is traveling. It tends to be slower in materials such as water or glass compared to a vacuum. Additionally, gravitational fields can also slightly affect the speed of light.

4. Is it possible for an object to travel faster than the speed of light?

According to the theory of relativity, it is impossible for any object with mass to travel at or faster than the speed of light. Objects with mass would require an infinite amount of energy to reach the speed of light, making it impossible to exceed.

5. Why is the speed of light considered to be a universal speed limit?

The speed of light is considered to be a universal speed limit because it is the fastest speed at which anything can travel. It is a fundamental constant that is consistent and unchanging in all inertial frames of reference, meaning it is the same for all observers regardless of their relative motion.