Light transmission through glass.

Main Question or Discussion Point

I was wondering if anyone on here could give me a detailed explanation on how light passes through glass. I'm a junior in physics at a university, so it's OK if the explanation is complex.

Answers and Replies

light is having dual nature. when light travels from one medium to another medium wave length changes but no. of vibrations per sec i.e frequency remains constant. so velocity of light changes when light travels in glass or medium
refractive index[n]=C air/C medium

ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
2018 Award
I was wondering if anyone on here could give me a detailed explanation on how light passes through glass. I'm a junior in physics at a university, so it's OK if the explanation is complex.
You might want to start by reading our https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=104715" in this sub-forum. The entry on how photons move through a material might provide a starting point in understanding the mechanism of light interaction in solids.

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
GT1
light is having dual nature. when light travels from one medium to another medium wave length changes but no. of vibrations per sec i.e frequency remains constant. so velocity of light changes when light travels in glass or medium
refractive index[n]=C air/C medium
I'm trying to imagine how the frequency remains constant while wave length changes, if you draw two Sine waves with the same frequency, but with different wave length - how does it look like?

ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
2018 Award
I'm trying to imagine how the frequency remains constant while wave length changes, if you draw two Sine waves with the same frequency, but with different wave length - how does it look like?
You need a velocity component to this. Take an oscillating mass-spring system. Now move it laterally at a velocity v. Now do the same thing but move it at a slower velocity v'. The wavelength when it is moving with velocity v is going to be longer than when it is moving with velocity v'. Yet, in both cases, the frequency remains the same, since the the mass-spring system is oscillating at the same frequency.

Zz.