Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Light transmission through glass.

1. Apr 17, 2008 #1
    I was wondering if anyone on here could give me a detailed explanation on how light passes through glass. I'm a junior in physics at a university, so it's OK if the explanation is complex.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2008 #2
    light is having dual nature. when light travels from one medium to another medium wave length changes but no. of vibrations per sec i.e frequency remains constant. so velocity of light changes when light travels in glass or medium
    refractive index[n]=C air/C medium

4. Apr 17, 2008 #3

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

You might want to start by reading our FAQ in this sub-forum. The entry on how photons move through a material might provide a starting point in understanding the mechanism of light interaction in solids.

Zz.

5. Apr 17, 2008 #4

GT1

I'm trying to imagine how the frequency remains constant while wave length changes, if you draw two Sine waves with the same frequency, but with different wave length - how does it look like?

6. Apr 17, 2008 #5
  7. Apr 17, 2008 #6

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

You need a velocity component to this. Take an oscillating mass-spring system. Now move it laterally at a velocity v. Now do the same thing but move it at a slower velocity v'. The wavelength when it is moving with velocity v is going to be longer than when it is moving with velocity v'. Yet, in both cases, the frequency remains the same, since the the mass-spring system is oscillating at the same frequency.

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?