Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Light travelling through a black whole

1. Sep 30, 2008 #1
    If light always travels in a straight line, the only time light appears to be bent is when a large gravitational field bends the space-time around it distorting the straight and time line the light is travelling in.

So light travelling through a black hole gravitational field would be slowed down in two ways. 1. The distance it would have to travel would be greatly increased by the bending of space. 2. Time is also stretched increasing the time it will take to travel thought the space.

Dose this mean that light can always escape a black hole but just takes a very long time to do so? An only light that doesn’t come out of the black whole is the light that hits the singularity.

I apologise if any of this is spelt wrong, I am dyslectic and I think everything is spelt right.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2008 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Your second sentence essentially gives the answer - all light ends up at the singularity.

4. Sep 30, 2008 #3

Nabeshin

Science Advisor

Appears to be bent? It is bent. No one would say the path of the Earth only appears to be bent...

5. Sep 30, 2008 #4

DaveC426913

Gold Member

All light that crosses the Schwarzchild radius will never escape; it will curve toward and ultimately reach the singularity. I do believe that is the defining feature of the Schwarzchild radius.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?