Understanding the Orientation of Light Waves: Electro vs. Magnetic Aspects"

In summary, electromagnetic radiation has both an electric and magnetic aspect, with the magnetic aspect being oriented 90 degrees anti-clockwise from the electric aspect. This is a consequence of Maxwell's Equations and has been observed through experiments and documented in textbooks such as "Optics" by Hecht & Zajac. The direction of the magnetic aspect is consistent in both matter and antimatter worlds. While there is experimental data on this orientation, it may require further research to fully understand the reasoning behind it.
gonegahgah
Electromagnetic radiation has a magnetic aspect at 90 degrees to the electro aspect of the radiation.

We see light, experience heat, use radio, x-rays, microwaves, etc.

Can someone please help me with this question about the above:

- Which way is the magnetic aspect orientated to the electro aspect? Clockwise or anti-clockwise?

Science news on Phys.org
If the radiation is traveling towards you, the magnetic field is 90 degrees anti-clockwise from the electric field.

Thanks Redbelly. How do you know that though? Is there some info on this?

Ultimately, it's a consequence of Maxwell's Equations, though I myself don't know how to derive it. I just looked it up in a textbook from when I took a class in optics; the book is "Optics" by Hecht & Zajac, though I think newer editions just list Hecht as author.

Also found this on the web:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_radiation#Properties
http://www.phy.ntnu.edu.tw/ntnujava/index.php?topic=35

This might lead you to more info:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...ctric+propagation&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&oq=

Thanks again RedBelly. You couldn't transcribe the paragraphs from your textbook that mention which direction the magnetic aspect is to the electro aspect? If it mentions why that would be great too. I looked at the sites you gave but I couldn't really find this specific info.

I know that an electric current through a wire produces an anticlockwise magnetic aspect to the direction the current flows. I presume that a current of anti-electrons through an antimatter wire would produce a clockwise magnetic aspect to the direction of current flow.

Photons in our matter world tend to interact with electrons rather than the protons.
As opposites attract I would have expected photons to have an opposite magnetic aspect to electrons; not the same.

So when you said they were the same I was surprised. This is why I really need to know if there is some experimental evidence of the orientation.

Well, to be honest I just looked at the figure in the book, and didn't follow the derivation. It has been more than 20 years since I had the class.

While I would imagine there is experimental data on the relative orientation of E and B in electromagnetic waves, I am not specifically aware of what that data is.

Thanks for trying to help Redbelly. Hopefully someone else might know?

1. What is light wave orientation?

Light wave orientation refers to the direction in which the electric and magnetic fields of a light wave are oscillating as the wave travels through space. This orientation is perpendicular to the direction of the wave's propagation.

2. How is light wave orientation measured?

Light wave orientation is typically measured using a polarimeter, which can detect the direction of the electric field of a light wave. The angle of the polarimeter's analyzer can then determine the orientation of the wave's electric field.

3. Can light wave orientation be changed?

Yes, the orientation of light waves can be changed by passing them through a polarizing filter, which only allows waves with a specific orientation to pass through. This is how polarized sunglasses work, as they block out light waves with certain orientations.

4. How does light wave orientation affect color?

Light wave orientation does not affect the color of light itself, but it can affect how we perceive color. This is known as polarization-sensitive color perception, where the orientation of light waves can alter the perceived color of an object.

5. What are some applications of understanding light wave orientation?

Understanding light wave orientation is crucial in fields such as optics, telecommunications, and astronomy. It also has practical applications in technologies such as polarizing filters, 3D movies, and LCD screens. Additionally, studying light wave orientation can provide insights into the behavior of electromagnetic radiation and its interactions with matter.