How can I get my insurance to cover full replacement after lightening damage?

• Thread starter Isaac Olson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    lightning
In summary, lightning strikes can cause damage to a house's electrical system, appliances, and electronics. Signs that lightning may have struck a house include a loud booming sound, power outages, and visible damage to the roof or exterior. If your house is struck by lightning, evacuate and call emergency services, and do not touch any electrical devices. Lightning can strike a house multiple times, so it is important to have it inspected after a strike. To protect your house from lightning, you can install a lightning protection system and unplug electronics during a storm.
Isaac Olson
Lightening hit my house and caused a serious amount of damage. Outlets exploded out of walls on all floors of the house. But the worst damage by far was the second floor. So now we are fighting with our insurance to replace every wire in the house. They say only second floor wires need to be replaced and they will replace six outlets on the first floor and some in the basement. We even hired an elec. engineer to write a report. He said every wire and appliance in the house needs to be replaced. So how can I prove to insurance that they need to replace everything even when they go against the recommendation of an engineer? We need help. It's also been 5 months and still fighting over this and no work done to the house. Meanwhile we are living at my wife's parents.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Isaac Olson said:
Lightening hit my house and caused a serious amount of damage. Outlets exploded out of walls on all floors of the house. But the worst damage by far was the second floor. So now we are fighting with our insurance to replace every wire in the house. They say only second floor wires need to be replaced and they will replace six outlets on the first floor and some in the basement. We even hired an elec. engineer to write a report. He said every wire and appliance in the house needs to be replaced. So how can I prove to insurance that they need to replace everything even when they go against the recommendation of an engineer? We need help. It's also been 5 months and still fighting over this and no work done to the house. Meanwhile we are living at my wife's parents.

Hi Issac
welcome to PF :smile:

because we are not there and don't know all the details

that is not something people that are spread all over the world, on a forum, can answer for you
you need to work with the electrical engineers, maybe lawyers and the insurance companies to resolve you problemRegards
Dave

Likes Bystander
Sorry, this is not something that we can help you with. Try googling "insurance consumer complaints" and your state to find the regulatory body for insurance complaints for the state that you are in and see if they can help.

Thread closed.

Likes davenn and phinds

1. What are the common effects of lightning hitting a house?

Lightning strikes can cause damage to a house's electrical system, appliances, and electronics. It can also start fires, damage the roof and structure, and cause power outages.

2. How can I tell if lightning has struck my house?

Some signs that lightning may have struck your house include a loud booming sound, power outages, and visible damage to the roof or exterior of the house. You may also smell a burning odor or see smoke.

3. What should I do if my house is struck by lightning?

If your house is struck by lightning, it is important to evacuate the house and call emergency services. Do not touch any electrical devices or outlets, as they may be damaged. You should also check for any fires or damage to the structure of the house.

4. Can lightning strike a house more than once?

Yes, lightning can strike a house multiple times during a storm. It is important to have a professional inspect your house after a lightning strike to ensure there is no damage to the electrical system or structure of the house.

5. How can I protect my house from lightning strikes?

To minimize the risk of lightning striking your house, you can install a lightning protection system. This system includes lightning rods, grounding wires, and surge protectors. It is also important to unplug electronics and appliances during a storm to protect them from power surges.