Lightning bolt charge physics problem

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the charge deposited on a plane when struck by a lightning bolt with a current of 30,000 A lasting for 50 microseconds. The formula q(t) = \int i(x)dx is used to find the charge of the lightning bolt, which is calculated to be 1.5 C. However, there is uncertainty on how to find the charge deposited on the plane at 20,000 ft.
seraphimhouse

Homework Statement

A lightning bolt carrying 30,000 A lasts for 50 microseconds. If the lightning strikes an airplane flying at 20,000 ft, what is the charge deposited on the plane?

Homework Equations

q(t) = [tex]\int[/tex] i(x)dx

The Attempt at a Solution

So, using the equation above I found the charge of the lightning bolt to be 30,000A * 50 x 10^-6

q(t) = 1.5 c

Then to find charge of the airplane
q(t) = [tex]\int[/tex] 20,000dx from 0 to 50 microseconds

q(t) = 20,000x
q(t) = 20,000 (50 x 10^-6) = 1

I'm a bit rusty on my physics as you can see. Maybe someone can direct me to a more precise approach. Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org

x is not time i guess

i could find the charge of the lightning bolt by q = it given i = 30,000 A and t = 50 x 10^-6 s

q = 30,000A) * (50 x 10^-6 s) = 1.5 C

but how can I find the charge deposited onto the plane at 20,000 feet?

1. What causes a lightning bolt charge?

The exact mechanism behind the formation of a lightning bolt is still not fully understood, but it is believed to be a result of the buildup and discharge of electrical energy in storm clouds.

2. How does a lightning bolt form?

Lightning bolts form when the difference in electrical potential between the positively charged upper portion of a storm cloud and the negatively charged lower portion becomes too great, causing a rapid discharge of electricity in the form of a bolt.

3. What is the average charge of a lightning bolt?

The average charge of a lightning bolt is around 300,000 Coulombs, which is equivalent to 300,000 Ampere-seconds or 3,000 Amps for 100 seconds.

4. Can lightning bolts travel through different types of matter?

Yes, lightning bolts can travel through different types of matter, including air, water, and even some solid objects. However, the electrical resistance of different materials can affect the path and strength of the lightning bolt.

5. How fast does a lightning bolt travel?

The speed of a lightning bolt can vary, but on average it travels at around 224,000 miles per hour or 360,000 kilometers per hour. This is about 1/3 the speed of light, making it one of the fastest natural phenomena on Earth.