Lim as b approaches infinite -e^(-b) = 0 ? 0__o

• Thread starter Nano-Passion
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Infinite
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of improper integrals and how the limit as b approaches infinity of -e^{-b} + 1 is equal to 1. The conversation also clarifies that -e^{-b} can be represented as \frac{1}{e^{b}} and as b gets larger, the fraction tends towards zero.
Nano-Passion
I'm doing improper integrals and my book is saying that

lim as b approaches infinite of
[tex] -e^{-b} + 1[/tex]
[tex] = 1 [/tex]

This doesn't make any sense to me. I would think that it would be

[tex] -e^{-b} + 1[/tex]
[tex] = - ∞ + 1[/tex]
[tex] = - ∞ [/tex]

Help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex] -e^{-b} = \frac{-1}{e^b}[/tex]Thus you have a fraction whose denominator is getting really large.

As b→∞, eb→∞ as well. That part you know.

The part that you are missing is that e-b=1/eb.

So as eb tends towards infinity, you have 1/eb tending towards zero.

(If you need to check, calculate 1/e,1/e2,1/e5.1/e100 and you will see it gets smaller and smaller until it approaches zero)

[itex]b[/itex] is getting really big, right? Doesn't [itex]e^{-b} = \frac{1}{e^b}[/itex].

Do you see it, now?

Nano-Passion said:
I'm doing improper integrals and my book is saying that

lim as b approaches infinite of
[tex] -e^{-b} + 1[/tex]
[tex] = 1 [/tex]

This doesn't make any sense to me. I would think that it would be

[tex] -e^{-b} + 1[/tex]
[tex] = - ∞ + 1[/tex]
[tex] = - ∞ [/tex]

Help is appreciated.
[itex]\displaystyle e^{-b}= \frac{1}{e^{b}}\ \ \to\ \ \frac{1}{\infty}\,. [/itex] (Please excuse the offensive notation.)

SammyS said:
[itex]\displaystyle e^{-b}= \frac{1}{e^{b}}\ \ \to\ \ \frac{1}{\infty}\,. [/itex] (Please excuse the offensive notation.)

Offensive notation excused. :redface:

Thanks all for the quick reply.

FAQ: Lim as b approaches infinite -e^(-b) = 0 ? 0__o

1. What does the equation "Lim as b approaches infinite -e^(-b) = 0" mean?

The equation represents a limit, or the value that a function approaches as its independent variable approaches a certain value (in this case, infinity). The function -e^(-b) represents a decreasing exponential curve that approaches 0 as b becomes infinitely large.

2. Why is the limit of -e^(-b) equal to 0 as b approaches infinity?

This is because as the value of b becomes infinitely large, the negative exponent (-b) becomes infinitely small, causing the function to approach 0. In other words, as b gets larger and larger, the value of -e^(-b) gets closer and closer to 0.

3. What is the significance of the limit of -e^(-b) as b approaches infinity?

The limit of -e^(-b) as b approaches infinity has many applications in mathematics and science, particularly in the study of exponential growth and decay. It helps us understand how a function behaves as its independent variable approaches a certain value, and can be used to make predictions and solve problems in various fields.

4. Can the limit of -e^(-b) as b approaches infinity be calculated or approximated?

Yes, the limit can be calculated or approximated using various mathematical techniques, such as L'Hôpital's rule or graphing the function. However, it is important to note that the limit may not always have a defined numerical value and may approach infinity or negative infinity instead.

5. How is the limit of -e^(-b) as b approaches infinity related to other limits?

The limit of -e^(-b) as b approaches infinity is related to other limits in calculus, such as the limit of e^(b) as b approaches negative infinity, which is also equal to 0. It is also related to the concept of asymptotes, as the horizontal asymptote of the function -e^(-b) is y=0 when b approaches infinity.