Lim n^n/n as n approaches infinity

• Thread starter Battlemage!
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Infinity
In summary: Yes, this is a form of the squeeze theorem. You have found a lower bound for the sequence, and since the sequence blows up to infinity, it must be the case that the limit is also infinity.
Battlemage!

Homework Statement

[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow ∞}\frac{n^n}{n!}[/tex]

Homework Equations

n! = (1)⋅(2)⋅(3)⋅...⋅(n-1)⋅n

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow ∞}\frac{n^n}{(1)⋅(2)⋅...⋅(n-1)⋅n}[/tex]

I then factor n out of the denominator n times, or rather, nn, leaving:

[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow ∞}\frac{n^n}{n^n⋅(\frac{1}{n})⋅(\frac{2}{n})⋅...⋅(1-\frac{1}{n})⋅(1)}[/tex]
[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow ∞}\frac{1}{(\frac{1}{n})⋅(\frac{2}{n})⋅...⋅(1-\frac{1}{n})⋅(1)}[/tex]
which is:
[tex]\frac{1}{0⋅0⋅...⋅(1-0)} = \frac{1}{0}=∞[/tex]This is the result Wolfram gives, but I can't get the step by step since I don't have Pro.
http://www.wolframalpha.com/widgets/view.jsp?id=7c220a2091c26a7f5e9f1cfb099511e3Is this acceptable, or if not is there an alternative way to do this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Battlemage! said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

n! = (1)⋅(2)⋅(3)⋅...⋅(n-1)⋅n

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow ∞}\frac{n^n}{(1)⋅(2)⋅...⋅(n-1)⋅n}[/tex]

I then factor n out of the denominator n times, or rather, nn, leaving:

[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow ∞}\frac{n^n}{n^n⋅(\frac{1}{n})⋅(\frac{2}{n})⋅...⋅(1-\frac{1}{n})⋅(1)}[/tex]
[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow ∞}\frac{1}{(\frac{1}{n})⋅(\frac{2}{n})⋅...⋅(1-\frac{1}{n})⋅(1)}[/tex]
which is:
[tex]\frac{1}{0⋅0⋅...⋅(1-0)} = \frac{1}{0}=∞[/tex]This is the result Wolfram gives, but I can't get the step by step since I don't have Pro.
http://www.wolframalpha.com/widgets/view.jsp?id=7c220a2091c26a7f5e9f1cfb099511e3Is this acceptable, or if not is there an alternative way to do this?

When you ask if "this is acceptable", what do you mean by "this"? If you are asking whether it is acceptable to use Wolfram Alpha to replace analysis and thinking, then I would say no. If you are asking whether it is acceptable to say
$$\lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{1}{(\frac{1}{n})⋅(\frac{2}{n})⋅...⋅(1-\frac{1}{n})⋅(1)} = \frac{1}{0⋅0⋅...⋅(1-0)}$$
the answer is no again. Dividing by zero is never, ever, acceptable under any circumstances; it is one of the fundamental taboos of mathematics.

Last edited:
The "..." are a bit problematic. You are basically taking two limits at the same time here, and in general that is not well-defined, although it works here.

I would just keep the first 1/n and find an upper limit for the remaining product, which then gives a lower limit on n^n/n! for every n.

Ray Vickson said:
When you ask if "this is acceptable", what do you mean by "this"? If you are asking whether it is acceptable to use Wolfram Alpha to replace analysis and thinking, then I would say no. If you are asking whether it is acceptable to say
$$\lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{1}{(\frac{1}{n})⋅(\frac{2}{n})⋅...⋅(1-\frac{1}{n})⋅(1)} = \frac{1}{0⋅0⋅...⋅(1-0)}$$
the answer is no again. Dividing by zero is never, ever, acceptable under any circumstances; it is one of the fundamental taboos of mathematics.
What I meant is "does not exist." The limit blows up to infinity so it cannot be a limit.

That mistake aside, what about the steps I used to get to that point? For example, is factoring out nn from the denominator acceptable, and if so did I do it right?*as for using Wolfram, I use it only as a means of checking my work. As I describe below, such tools and forums like this are all I have at this moment.
mfb said:
The "..." are a bit problematic. You are basically taking two limits at the same time here, and in general that is not well-defined, although it works here.

I would just keep the first 1/n and find an upper limit for the remaining product, which then gives a lower limit on n^n/n! for every n.
I will look into this.

Thanks both of you. I'm trying to learn and relearn this stuff on my own so I can get back to school with a sharper mind (had to quit a while due to personal circumstances), so it helps to have some advise on these problems on the forums. All the insight is very valuable to me.

Battlemage! said:
For example, is factoring out nn from the denominator acceptable, and if so did I do it right?
That is fine.

Battlemage! said:
What I meant is "does not exist." The limit blows up to infinity so it cannot be a limit.

That mistake aside, what about the steps I used to get to that point? For example, is factoring out nn from the denominator acceptable, and if so did I do it right?*as for using Wolfram, I use it only as a means of checking my work. As I describe below, such tools and forums like this are all I have at this moment.
I will look into this.

Thanks both of you. I'm trying to learn and relearn this stuff on my own so I can get back to school with a sharper mind (had to quit a while due to personal circumstances), so it helps to have some advise on these problems on the forums. All the insight is very valuable to me.

Your argument is basically OK, but can be fixed up a bit. However, you are doing it the hard way. Start with
$$\frac{n^n}{n!} = \frac{n}{n} \frac{n}{n-1} \cdots \frac{n}{2} \frac{n}{1}$$
We have ##n/n=1, n/ (n-1) > 1, \ldots, n/2 > 1##, so ##n^n/n! > 1 \cdot 1 \cdot 1 \cdots \cdot 1 \cdot n = n##; that is, ##n^n/n! > n##, so ##n^n/n \to \infty## as ##n \to \infty##.

Edit (6/1/22): The above has a typo. I'm sure Ray meant that is, ##n^n/n! > n##, so ##n^n/n! \to \infty## as ##n \to \infty##.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ray Vickson said:
Your argument is basically OK, but can be fixed up a bit. However, you are doing it the hard way. Start with
$$\frac{n^n}{n!} = \frac{n}{n} \frac{n}{n-1} \cdots \frac{n}{2} \frac{n}{1}$$
We have ##n/n=1, n/ (n-1) > 1, \ldots, n/2 > 1##, so ##n^n/n! > 1 \cdot 1 \cdot 1 \cdots \cdot 1 \cdot n = n##; that is, ##n^n/n! > n##, so ##n^n/n \to \infty## as ##n \to \infty##.
Edit (6/1/22): The above has a typo. I'm sure Ray meant that is, ##n^n/n! > n##, so ##n^n/n! \to \infty## as ##n \to \infty##.

Would this be some form of the squeeze theorem?

Last edited by a moderator:
It is just one-sided here, but it has some similarity.

Battlemage! said:
Would this be some form of the squeeze theorem?

I would hardly dignify it with the term "theorem"; it is just the obvious statement that if ##t(n) > n## then ##t(n) \to \infty## as ##n \to \infty##.

1. What is the limit of n^n/n as n approaches infinity?

The limit of n^n/n as n approaches infinity is infinity.

2. How do you solve for the limit of n^n/n as n approaches infinity?

To solve for this limit, we can use L'Hôpital's rule by taking the derivative of the numerator and denominator separately and then evaluating the limit again. This process can be repeated until a definitive answer is found.

3. What is the significance of "n approaching infinity" in this limit?

The significance of "n approaching infinity" is that it represents the behavior of the function as the input, n, becomes infinitely large. In this case, the function grows exponentially as n increases, resulting in an infinite limit.

4. Can this limit have a finite value?

No, this limit cannot have a finite value. As n approaches infinity, the function will continue to grow without bound, resulting in an infinite value for the limit.

5. Are there any real-world applications of this limit?

Yes, this limit can be used in various fields such as physics and engineering to model exponential growth and decay. It can also be used in the analysis of algorithms and computational complexity.