Lim sup(an+bn) less than or equal to

• Thread starter spenghali
  • Start date
In summary: in fact, by the same example, we can have lim sup x_n = 1, and lim sup -x_n = -1, so the inequality is not valid.
spenghali

Homework Statement

If limsup(an) and limsup(bn) are finite, prove that limsup(an+bn) [tex]\leq[/tex] limsup(an) + limsup(bn).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My proof seems a bit short, so if someone could please reassure me this is a valid proof, thanks in advance.

Proof: Assuming an and bn are bounded sequence. Let a > limsup(an) and b > limsup(bn). Then a+b > an+bn for all but finitely many n's. This implies that a+b [tex]\geq[/tex] limsup(an+bn). Since this hold for any a [tex]\geq[/tex] limsup(an) and any b > limsup(bn), this implies limsup(an+bn) [tex]\leq[/tex] limsup(an) + limsup(bn). QED

Physics news on Phys.org
looks reasonable to me (though i am rusty at this)

so just to sum up

an > limsup(an), bn > limsup(bn) for only finitley many n

an + bn > limsup(an + bn) for only finitley many n

which implies
limsup(an + bn) <= limsup(an) + limsup(bn)

Last edited:
thanks for the input, unfortunately my professor refused to tell me if i was right.

spenghali said:

If limsup(an) and limsup(bn) are finite, prove that limsup(an+bn) [tex]\leq[/tex] limsup(an) + limsup(bn).

Proof: Assuming an and bn are bounded sequence. Let a > limsup(an) and b > limsup(bn). Then a+b > an+bn for all but finitely many n's. This implies that a+b [tex]\geq[/tex] limsup(an+bn). Since this hold for any a [tex]\geq[/tex] limsup(an) and any b > limsup(bn), this implies limsup(an+bn) [tex]\leq[/tex] limsup(an) + limsup(bn). QED

Your first sentence is too strong an assumption. E.g., let x_n = -n, if n even, 1 otherwise. Then lim sup x_n = 1, but the sequence {x_n} is not bounded.

Edit: oops, I just looked at your proof, you didn't even use the boundedness...

Last edited:

What is Lim sup(an+bn) less than or equal to?

The expression "Lim sup(an+bn) less than or equal to" refers to the limit supremum of the sequence (an+bn) being less than or equal to a certain value. The limit supremum is the largest limit point of a sequence, which is the smallest value that the sequence approaches infinitely close to. In this case, the sequence is the sum of two other sequences (an and bn) which may or may not converge.

Why is Lim sup(an+bn) less than or equal to important?

The limit supremum is an important concept in mathematics because it helps determine the behavior of a sequence. If the limit supremum of a sequence is less than or equal to a certain value, it means that the sequence is bounded above and it has a finite limit point. This information can be useful in various fields of science, such as in the study of functions, series, and sequences.

How is Lim sup(an+bn) less than or equal to calculated?

The calculation of the limit supremum of (an+bn) involves finding the supremum of every subsequence of (an+bn) and then taking the smallest value among those supremums. This may involve some algebraic manipulations and using known limit laws, such as the sum and product laws, to simplify the expression and find the limit. In some cases, the limit supremum may also be equal to the limit of the sequence if it exists.

What is the difference between Lim sup(an+bn) and Lim sup(an)?

The main difference between the limit supremum of (an+bn) and the limit supremum of (an) is that the former involves the sum of two sequences, while the latter only involves one sequence. This means that the limit supremum of (an+bn) takes into account the behavior of both sequences (an and bn), while the limit supremum of (an) only looks at the behavior of one sequence. In some cases, these two values may be equal, but in general, they can be different.

How is Lim sup(an+bn) less than or equal to used in real-world applications?

The concept of limit supremum has applications in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics. In physics, it can be used to determine the stability of a system, while in engineering it can help analyze the behavior of a circuit or a structure. In economics, it can be used to study the behavior of prices or demand. The limit supremum also plays a role in the study of dynamical systems and fractals, which have applications in chaos theory and computer graphics.