Where Can I Find Help on Writing Series Expansion Formulas?

• Thread starter kahlan
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a limit problem and solutions to solve it. There is some debate about the correct solution, but in the end it is determined that the limit does exist and is equal to -e/2. The conversation also touches on the use of series expansions in finding the solution and provides a link to a tutorial on how to include mathematical symbols and equations in a post.
kahlan
how are u every one there
i am happy to be one of ur friends
just we have challenge because of this limit
so i hope that someone donate to solve it
thanx

Physics news on Phys.org
I would suggest changing this in a 0/0 or an [tex]\infty / \infty[/tex] and applying L' Hopital.

Last edited:
But it looks obvious that the limit does not exist !

Ow yes, you're right. It obviously doesn't exist. I read one of the parantheses wrong.

Kahlan, the "wrong parentheses" micromass was seeing was
[tex]\lim_{x\to\infty}x[(1+ 1/x)^x- e][/tex]

It is well known that [itex](1+ 1/x)^x[/itex] goes to e so that (1+ 1/x)^x- e would go to 0- the additional x outside the braces would give an indeterminant form of "infinity* 0".

However, you have the "x" inside the braces and -e outside. [itex]\lim_{x\to\infty}x(1+ 1/x)^x[/itex] is of the form "infinity*e" which does not converge.

[tex]\lim_{x\to\infty}x[(1+ 1/x)^x- e][/tex]

it sould be like [tex]\lim_{x\to\infty}x[(1+ 1/x)^x- e][/tex]
sorry guys
as well as answer will be 1

kahlan said:
how are u every one there
i am happy to be one of ur friends
just we have challenge because of this limit
so i hope that someone donate to solve it
thanx

sorry

The limit does exist.

You have:
x[(1 + 1/x)^x] - e = x[exp(x*ln(1+1/x))-e)
Then you use h=1/x, what gives:

1/h*[exp(ln(1+h)/h)-e)
=1/h*[exp(1/h*(h-h²/2+h^3/3+o(h))-e)]
=1/h*[exp(1-h/2+h²/3+o(h))-e)]
=1/h*[e(exp(-h/2+h²/3+o(h))-1)]
=1/h*[e(1-h/2+h²/3+o(h)-1)
=1/h*[e(-h/2+h²/3+o(h)]
=e/h*(-h/2+h²/3+o(h)]
=-e/2+h/3+o(h)

As x→∞, then h→0

Finally, you get:

lim x→∞ (x[(1 + 1/x)^x] - e) = lim h→0 (-e/2+h/3+o(h)) = -e/2

scichem, you're being a bit sloppy with braces and parentheses, so it's hard to see where you went wrong. You should have obtained

[tex]x\bigl((1 + 1/x)^x - e\bigr) = -\frac e 2 + \frac{11 e}{24}\frac 1 x - O\bigl(1/x^2\bigr)[/tex]
or
[tex]\bigl((1 + h)^{1/h} - e\bigr)/h = -\frac e 2 + \frac{11 e}{24}h - O\bigl(h^2\bigr)[/tex]

In the limit x→∞ or h→0, these become -e/2.

Somehow you did obtain the right limit.

D H said:
scichem, you're being a bit sloppy with braces and parentheses, so it's hard to see where you went wrong. You should have obtained

[tex]x\bigl((1 + 1/x)^x - e\bigr) = -\frac e 2 + \frac{11 e}{24}\frac 1 x - O\bigl(1/x^2\bigr)[/tex]
or
[tex]\bigl((1 + h)^{1/h} - e\bigr)/h = -\frac e 2 + \frac{11 e}{24}h - O\bigl(h^2\bigr)[/tex]

In the limit x→∞ or h→0, these become -e/2.Somehow you did obtain the right limit.

You're right, thanks for noticing, I've forgotten something in the series expansion of exp(u), actually the u²/2 part with u=-h/2+h²/3+o(h²), which actually gives the element h²/8:

1/h*[exp(ln(1+h)/h)-e)
=1/h*[exp(1/h*(h-h²/2+h^3/3+o(h²))-e)]
=1/h*[exp(1-h/2+h²/3+o(h²))-e)]
=1/h*[e(exp(-h/2+h²/3+o(h²))-1)]
=1/h*[e(1-h/2+h²/3+o(h²)-1)
=1/h*[e(-h/2+h²/3+o(h²)]
=e/h*(-h/2+h²/3+h²/8+o(h²)]
=e/h*(-h/2+11h²/24+o(h²)

=-e/2+11h/24+o(h)

And then you find the limit -e/2.

PS: Where can I find a tutorial/help section on this forum to know how to write series expansion formulas like what you've done?

scichem said:
PS: Where can I find a tutorial/help section on this forum to know how to write series expansion formulas like what you've done?
This thread: [thread=546968]LaTeX Guide: Include mathematical symbols and equations in a post[/thread].Edit
One last comment about this thread:

Look at the dates when posting. This thread was last active over a year ago. In general it isn't a good idea to raise old threads from the dead. In this case it was OK because (a) there was no correct resolution, and (b) a year is old but not terribly old. On the other hand, if you come across a seven year old thread with no resolution, don't get the seven year itch to resurrect it. Just let it lie.

Last edited:

What is the limit of the expression x[(1 + 1/x)^x] - e as x approaches infinity?

The limit of this expression as x approaches infinity is equal to 1. This can be proven using the limit definition of e and the exponent rule for limits.

Why is this limit important in scientific research?

This limit is important because it is a key factor in understanding the behavior of exponential functions and their relationship to the constant e. It also has applications in various fields such as biology, physics, and finance.

What are the properties of the expression x[(1 + 1/x)^x] - e that affect the limit?

The main properties that affect the limit are the exponential growth of the term (1 + 1/x)^x as x approaches infinity and the term e, which is a constant with a fixed value of approximately 2.71828. These properties determine the behavior of the expression as x becomes larger and larger.

Can this limit be evaluated using other mathematical techniques?

Yes, this limit can also be evaluated using L'Hôpital's rule, which states that the limit of a ratio of two functions that both approach infinity or zero can be found by evaluating the limit of the derivatives of the numerator and denominator. In this case, the limit can be rewritten as lim(x→∞) [(1 + 1/x)^x * ln(1 + 1/x) - 1], and then evaluated using L'Hôpital's rule.

Are there any real-world applications of this limit?

Yes, this limit has applications in various fields such as population growth, compound interest, and radioactive decay. For example, in population growth, this limit can help determine the maximum population size that can be sustained by a given environment.