Finding the Limit of $\frac{5^x-1}{4x}^\frac{1}{x}$

• Thread starter Zhalfirin88
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary: I don't think so. As x approaches 0, the limit of the function will approach 1+x\;{\rm ln} a . So it makes sense to use l'Hospital.In summary, Zhalfirin88 was stuck trying to find the limit of a function that had indeterminant form and was recommended to use the method Mark suggested. However, this method doesn't work because x/x is undefined when x is substituted with 0. Zhalfirin88 then substituted x=0 and found the limit to be (ln(5)/4)^(1/x).
Zhalfirin88

Homework Statement

Find the limit of [tex] \lim_{x\rightarrow 0} {{\frac{(5^x-1)}{4x}^\frac{1}{x}} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

First I said y = that limit above and took the ln of both sides.

[tex] ln (y) = \lim_{x\rightarrow 0} {ln{{\frac{(5^x-1)}{4x}^\frac{1}{x}}} [/tex]

But that gives you -infinity divided by 0 which isn't an indeterminate form. What do I do next?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The power 1/x goes to the whole fraction, not just to the top. Can't figure out how to get latex to do that.

Like this:
[tex] \lim_{x\rightarrow 0} \left({\frac{5^x-1}{4x}\right)^{\frac{1}{x}} [/tex]

You can see my LaTeX code by double-clicking it.

Let y = the expression you're taking the limit of -- without the limit. Now take ln of both sides and work from there. Then take the limit of both sides.

That's what I did in step 3.

If you take the limit of [tex]
\lim_{x\rightarrow 0} \left({\frac{5^x-1}{4x}\right)^{\frac{1}{x}}
[/tex]

You get the [tex] \frac{ln(0)}{0} [/tex] Which isn't an indeterminate form. And that's where I'm stuck =(

Zhalfirin88 said:
That's what I did in step 3.

If you take the limit of [tex]
\lim_{x\rightarrow 0} \left({\frac{5^x-1}{4x}\right)^{\frac{1}{x}}
[/tex]

You get the [tex] \frac{ln(0)}{0} [/tex] Which isn't an indeterminate form. And that's where I'm stuck =(

How did you get to ln(0)/0? Start by just looking at the (5^x-1)/(4x) part. Does that have a limit?

Dick,
I thought of that, but dismissed it, thinking it wasn't a good idea. I was thinking in terms of limits such as this:
[tex]\lim_{x \to 0} (1 + x) ^{1/x}[/tex]

The technique you suggest won't work in the case of this problem, but that's because here we arrive at the indeterminate form [tex][1^{\infty}][/tex], but the OP's problem falls into a completely different category, so I think your suggestion is a good one.

Hi Mark,

Right. (5^x-1)/(4x) has indeterminant form 0/0. But you can resolve that with l'Hopital. After that, it's not indeterminant at all. I'm just curious how Zhalfirin88 got to log(0)/0.

Okay, I took the ln of both sides. So you get:
[tex]
ln(\left({\frac{5^x-1}{4x}\right)^{\frac{1}{x}})
[/tex]

I rewrote that as

[tex] \frac{1}{x}ln\left({\frac{5^x-1}{4x}\right) [/tex]

[tex] \frac{1}{x}\left(ln(5^x-1)-ln(4x)\right) [/tex]

If you substitute 0:
[tex] \frac{ln(0)-ln(0)}{0} [/tex]

Zhalfirin88 said:
Okay, I took the ln of both sides. So you get:
[tex]
ln(\left({\frac{5^x-1}{4x}\right)^{\frac{1}{x}})
[/tex]

I rewrote that as

[tex] \frac{1}{x}ln\left({\frac{5^x-1}{4x}\right) [/tex]

[tex] \frac{1}{x}\left(ln(5^x-1)-ln(4x)\right) [/tex]

If you substitute 0:
[tex] \frac{ln(0)-ln(0)}{0} [/tex]

You can't 'substitute 0'. This is a limit problem. x/x is also undefined if you substitute x=0 but it has a perfectly good limit. Like I said, I think you should work on the limit of (5^x-1)/(4x) first. It has 0/0 FORM. Which means you can use l'Hopital. But the limit is NOT 0/0.

What about the exponent?

Zhalfirin88 said:
What about the exponent?

Don't worry about the exponent until you figure out what the inside is doing. Trust me.

Sorry. [tex] \frac{ln(5)}{4} [/tex]

Zhalfirin88 said:
Sorry. [tex] \frac{ln(5)}{4} [/tex]

Right. So as x->0 your limit will look like (ln(5)/4)^(1/x). How does that behave? Be a little careful here.

I don't know what you're asking.

Zhalfirin88 said:
I don't know what you're asking.

I'm asking what's the limit of (ln(5)/4)^(1/x) as x->0. It's not indeterminant.

edit

Last edited:
Well, the log of that quantity is (1/x)*ln(ln(5)/4). You can't use l'Hopital, because that's not indeterminant. Suppose x is positive and close to zero? But you should also consider x is negative and close to zero. If it helps you to think a little more clearly, ln(5)/4~0.4.

Dick said:
I'm asking what's the limit of (ln(5)/4)^(1/x) as x->0. It's not indeterminant.
That'll give you the wrong answer.

You need to use the method Mark suggested to take the log and finding its limit.

Well I have to go to work. And it's due tomorrow morning D= Thanks for your help though.

vela said:

You need to use the method Mark suggested to take the log and finding its limit.

Why? I thought we were almost there.

vela said:

Why? Isn't it obvious that a number that is less than zero (EDIT: I meant between zero and one) raised to a power that approaches infinity will go to zero?

Doesn't taking the logarithm just confuse the situation more? Why not keep it simple.

My simple minded approach was to not even use l'Hospital, but to just look up the expansion of [tex] a^x[/tex] which to first order (with small x) is [tex] 1+x\;{\rm ln} a [/tex]. It all falls out pretty quickly from that. Maybe looking up in tables is frowned upon in math, but engineers are often watching the clock and looking for the quick answer.

Last edited:
elect_eng said:
Why? Isn't it obvious that a number that is less than zero raised to a power that approaches infinity will go to zero?

Doesn't taking the logarithm just confuse the situation more? Why not keep it simple.

My simple minded approach was to not even use l'Hospital, but to just look up the expansion of [tex] a^x[/tex] which to first order (with small x) is [tex] 1+x\;{\rm ln} a [/tex]. It all falls out pretty quickly from that. Maybe looking up in tables is frowned upon in math, but engineers are often watching the clock and looking for the quick answer.

I think you mean a number less than 1. Sure, that's what I thought. But don't forget x can be negative.

Dick said:
I think you mean a number less than 1. Sure, that's what I thought. But don't forget x can be negative.

Yes, quite right. :smile:

elect_eng said:
Why? Isn't it obvious that a number that is less than zero raised to a power that approaches infinity will go to zero?
Yes, that's obvious, but the error occurred before this point, so it doesn't matter what that limit is.

Dick said:
Why? I thought we were almost there.
Try Mark's method. The limit comes out to be 5, not 0.

Edit: Oh, never mind. I brain-farted and was thinking of the limit as [itex]x\rightarrow\infty[/itex].

Last edited:
vela said:

I really and truly think you and Mark are making a mistake here. This is f(x)=(((5^x)-1)/(4x))^(1/x), right? The limit is not 5. Nor is it 0. The limit is 0 as x->0+ and infinity as x->0-. Hence, no limit. Punch f(0.01) and f(-0.01) into your calculator if you have to. This is getting silly.

vela said:

That doesn't seem right to me, but maybe I'm just being stupid.

Another thought occurred to me, and was triggered by Dick's comment that x can be negative. A negative exponent is an inverse, so don't we need to specify whether the limit is coming from the left or the right?

I think the answer is zero from the right and infinity from the left.

elect_eng said:
That doesn't seem right to me, but maybe I'm just being stupid.

Another thought occurred to me, and was triggered by Dick's comment that x can be negative. A negative exponent is an inverse, so don't we need to specify whether the limit is coming from the left or the right?

I think the answer is zero from the right and infinity from the left.

Wow. Somebody I can agree with!

Sorry, I think you guys are right. I was thinking of [itex]x\rightarrow\infty[/itex].

Dick said:
Wow. Somebody I can agree with!

Yes, with some help I saw it eventually. That one was a little tricky. Hopefully, the OP will check in here before tomorrow morning's class.

Class starts in 2 hours!

So the answer is that the limit does not exist as x approaches zero? And then explain the right and the left limits? I should have realized that sooner because I even typed it into a graphing calculator -.-

Btw, this was a bonus question, they are harder and/or trickier :D

1. What is the limit of $\frac{5^x-1}{4x}^\frac{1}{x}$ as x approaches infinity?

The limit of $\frac{5^x-1}{4x}^\frac{1}{x}$ as x approaches infinity is 1. This can be determined by using the L'Hopital's rule or by recognizing that the numerator approaches infinity faster than the denominator, resulting in a limit of 1.

2. How do you find the limit of $\frac{5^x-1}{4x}^\frac{1}{x}$?

The limit of $\frac{5^x-1}{4x}^\frac{1}{x}$ can be found by using the properties of limits, such as factoring, simplifying, and applying L'Hopital's rule if necessary. It is also important to consider the behavior of the numerator and denominator as x approaches the limit value.

3. Is the limit of $\frac{5^x-1}{4x}^\frac{1}{x}$ always equal to 1?

No, the limit of $\frac{5^x-1}{4x}^\frac{1}{x}$ is not always equal to 1. It depends on the specific values of x and the behavior of the function as x approaches the limit value. In some cases, the limit may not exist or may approach a different value.

4. What is the significance of finding the limit of $\frac{5^x-1}{4x}^\frac{1}{x}$?

Finding the limit of $\frac{5^x-1}{4x}^\frac{1}{x}$ can help us understand the behavior of the function as x approaches a certain value. It can also be used to determine important properties of the function, such as continuity and differentiability.

5. Can the limit of $\frac{5^x-1}{4x}^\frac{1}{x}$ be used to find the value of the function at a specific point?

No, the limit of $\frac{5^x-1}{4x}^\frac{1}{x}$ cannot be used to find the value of the function at a specific point. It only tells us about the behavior of the function as x approaches a certain value, but it does not provide information about the actual value of the function at that point.