Convergence of Countable Sets and the Counting Measure

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a sequence of sets in an infinite set \Omega, and the counting measure \mu on \Omega. The question asks whether the limit of the sequence of sets, as n approaches infinity, is equal to the empty set, and if the limit of the measure of the sets is equal to 0. The conversation then delves into a discussion of the properties of infinite sets and measures, and concludes that the limit of the sequence of sets is indeed the empty set, but the limit of the measure is infinity.
divergentgrad

Homework Statement

Suppose [itex]\Omega[/itex] is an infinite set. If [itex] Q = \{x_1,x_2,...\} \subset \Omega [/itex] is infinite and countable, and if [itex] B_n := \{x_1,x_2,...,x_n\}, A_n := Q - B_n [/itex], ...

does [itex]A_n \downarrow \emptyset[/itex]? If [itex]\mu[/itex] is the counting measure on [itex]\Omega[/itex], is [itex] \lim_{n \to \infty} \mu (A_n) = 0[/itex]?

The Attempt at a Solution

My first thought is that [tex] \lim_{n \to \infty} \lim_{m \to \infty} (m - n) = \infty [/tex] would neatly parallel the above situation, and suggest that [itex]A_n [/itex] does not approach [itex]\emptyset[/itex]. Is that correct?

Now I'm actually doubting myself. Is it true that [tex] \lim_{n \to \infty} \mbox{ } \lim_{m \to \infty} (m - n) = \infty \neq -\infty = \lim_{m \to \infty}\mbox{ } \lim_{n \to \infty} (m - n) [/tex]? Or are these just indeterminate?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Since the [itex] A_n\text{'s}[/itex] are a decreasing sequence, i.e. [itex] A_n \supseteq A_{n+1}[/itex], then [itex] \lim_{n \to \infty} A_n = \bigcap_{n=1}^\infty A_n [/itex]. For any n, [itex] x_n \in B_n[/itex], so would that make
[tex]
\bigcap_{n=1}^\infty A_n = \bigcap_{n=1}^\infty (Q - B_n) = Q - \bigcup_{n=1}^\infty B_n
[/tex]
empty or nonempty?

I'm not sure your idea with the limits will work. Intuitively it makes sense, but I think in the end you're left with the indeterminate [itex]\infty - \infty [/itex].

spamiam said:
Since the [itex] A_n\text{'s}[/itex] are a decreasing sequence, i.e. [itex] A_n \supseteq A_{n+1}[/itex], then [itex] \lim_{n \to \infty} A_n = \bigcap_{n=1}^\infty A_n [/itex]. For any n, [itex] x_n \in B_n[/itex], so would that make
[tex]
\bigcap_{n=1}^\infty A_n = \bigcap_{n=1}^\infty (Q - B_n) = Q - \bigcup_{n=1}^\infty B_n
[/tex]
empty or nonempty?

I'm not sure your idea with the limits will work. Intuitively it makes sense, but I think in the end you're left with the indeterminate [itex]\infty - \infty [/itex].

Thanks. I had thought up the An, Bn, believing it would work for the problem, until I puzzled over the limits.

Now since [itex]B_n \subset Q[/itex], we have
[tex] \mu(A_n) = \mu(Q-B_n) = \mu(Q) - \mu(B_n) = \infty - n.[/tex]

So then [tex] \lim_{n \to \infty} \mu(A_n) = \mu(Q) - \lim_{n \to \infty} \mu(B_n) = \infty - \infty.[/tex]

... er...?

divergentgrad said:
Now since [itex]B_n \subset Q[/itex], we have

So then [tex] \lim_{n \to \infty} \mu(A_n) = \mu(Q) - \lim_{n \to \infty} \mu(B_n) = \infty - \infty.[/tex]

... er...?

Don't worry about the measure yet. As I said before, [itex] \lim_{n \to \infty} A_n = \bigcap_{n=1}^\infty A_n [/itex]. You can figure out quite easily if this set is empty or not just using basic set theory.

Given [itex] a \in Q[/itex], [itex] a = x_n [/itex] for some n. Can you find a set [itex] A_i [/itex] in the sequence such that [itex] x_n \notin A_i[/itex]?

spamiam said:
Don't worry about the measure yet. As I said before, [itex] \lim_{n \to \infty} A_n = \bigcap_{n=1}^\infty A_n [/itex]. You can figure out quite easily if this set is empty or not just using basic set theory.

Given [itex] a \in Q[/itex], [itex] a = x_n [/itex] for some n. Can you find a set [itex] A_i [/itex] in the sequence such that [itex] x_n \notin A_i[/itex]?

No, no, I was addressing the second part of my question. I realize that the measure of the limit set is empty, because the limit set is the empty set. However, is the limit of the measure 0?

(I realized from your post that I was just not thinking about it clearly. It is obvious that [itex]\bigcap^{\infty}_{n=1} A_n = \emptyset [/itex].)

Last edited:
The original question, which appears in Robert Ash's Real Analysis and Probability, chapter 1.2:

Let [itex]\mu[/itex] be counting measure on [itex]\Omega[/itex], where [itex] \Omega[/itex] is an infinite set. Show that there is a sequence of sets [itex]A_n \downarrow \emptyset [/itex] with [itex]\lim_{n\to\infty} \mu(A_n) \neq 0[/itex].

divergentgrad said:
No, no, I was addressing the second part of my question. I realize that the measure of the limit set is empty, because the limit set is the empty set. However, is the limit of the measure 0?

Oh, okay. This question actually tripped me up a little. Take a look at this link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Measur..._of_infinite_intersections_of_measurable_sets). The key thing to note is the requirement that 1 of the sets in the sequence have finite measure. In your example, for every n [itex]Q - B_n[/itex] still contains an infinite number of elements, so for any n [itex] \mu(Q - B_n) = \infty [/itex]. Now that I look back at your previous post

I don't think this is correct, since IIRC you have to be dealing with sets of finite measure to go from the measure of the complement to the difference of the measures. The measure of [itex] Q-B_n[/itex] is infinity, since it certainly has infinitely many elements.

spamiam said:
Oh, okay. This question actually tripped me up a little. Take a look at this link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Measur..._of_infinite_intersections_of_measurable_sets). The key thing to note is the requirement that 1 of the sets in the sequence have finite measure. In your example, for every n [itex]Q - B_n[/itex] still contains an infinite number of elements, so for any n [itex] \mu(Q - B_n) = \infty [/itex]. Now that I look back at your previous post

I don't think this is correct, since IIRC you have to be dealing with sets of finite measure to go from the measure of the complement to the difference of the measures. The measure of [itex] Q-B_n[/itex] is infinity, since it certainly has infinitely many elements.

Back to the drawing board. Thanks for your help seeing the root of my misthought.

No, no, I think it works! What you've shown is

[tex]
\mu\left(\lim_{n \to \infty} A_n\right) = \mu(\emptyset) = 0
[/tex]

but
[tex]
\lim_{n \to \infty} \mu(Q - Bn) = \infty
[/tex]

since you've shown [itex]\mu(Q - Bn) = \infty[/itex] for every n.

spamiam said:
No, no, I think it works! What you've shown is

[tex]
\mu\left(\lim_{n \to \infty} A_n\right) = \mu(\emptyset) = 0
[/tex]

but
[tex]
\lim_{n \to \infty} \mu(Q - Bn) = \infty
[/tex]

since you've shown [itex]\mu(Q - Bn) = \infty[/itex] for every n.

That looks so clear, but I think that what you brought up before is still an issue--unless one of the [itex]A_n[/itex] is finite, I don't have a sequence of sets with limit [itex]\emptyset[/itex].

EDIT: On the other hand it's still obvious that [itex]\bigcap^{\infty}_{n=1} A_n = Q - \bigcup^{\infty}_{n=1}B_n = Q - Q = \emptyset[/itex].

Last edited:
divergentgrad said:
That looks so clear, but I think that what you brought up before is still an issue--unless one of the [itex]A_n[/itex] is finite, I don't have a sequence of sets with limit [itex]\emptyset[/itex].
No, one of the [itex] A_n[/itex] would have to have finite measure in order that
[tex]
\mu\left(\lim_{n \to \infty} A_n\right) = \lim_{n \to \infty} \mu(A_n)
[/tex]
but you actually don't want that to be true for this problem.
EDIT: On the other hand it's still obvious that [itex]\bigcap^{\infty}_{n=1} A_n = Q - \bigcup^{\infty}_{n=1}B_n = Q - Q = \emptyset[/itex].

Exactly, the intersection is definitely empty.

spamiam said:
No, one of the [itex] A_n[/itex] would have to have finite measure in order that
[tex]
\mu\left(\lim_{n \to \infty} A_n\right) = \lim_{n \to \infty} \mu(A_n)
[/tex]
but you actually don't want that to be true for this problem.

Exactly, the intersection is definitely empty.

Ah, ah--I had those requirements mixed up. So it worked. Thanks for your help getting through the mire.

1. What is the definition of a limit of a sequence of sets?

The limit of a sequence of sets is the set of all elements that appear in every set in the sequence. It is denoted as lim(An) and is often used to describe the behavior of a sequence of sets as n approaches infinity.

2. How is the limit of a sequence of sets different from the limit of a sequence of numbers?

Unlike the limit of a sequence of numbers, the limit of a sequence of sets is a set itself. This means that it contains all the elements that appear in all of the sets in the sequence, rather than a single value.

3. What is the importance of understanding limits of sequences of sets in mathematical analysis?

Limits of sequences of sets are important in mathematical analysis because they allow us to describe the behavior of a sequence of sets as the number of sets in the sequence increases. This can help us better understand the properties and relationships of the sets in the sequence.

4. Can the limit of a sequence of sets be empty?

Yes, it is possible for the limit of a sequence of sets to be empty. This occurs when there are no elements that appear in all of the sets in the sequence. In other words, there is no element that is common to all of the sets in the sequence.

5. How can the limit of a sequence of sets be used in real-life applications?

Limits of sequences of sets can be used in various real-life applications, such as data analysis and optimization problems. For example, in data analysis, the limit of a sequence of sets can help identify common elements among different datasets. In optimization problems, it can help determine the best possible solution by finding the common elements among a sequence of potential solutions.