1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit of a sequence

1. Feb 1, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Determine whether the sequence converges or diverges. If it converges, what does it converge to?

(cos[n])^2 / (2^n)

2. Relevant equations
    L'Hospital's Rule
    or
    Squeeze Theorem

3. The attempt at a solution
    As n-->infinity, this function approaches infinity/infinity. Applying L'Hospital's rule gives -(sin[n])^2 / 2 which gives infinity/2=infinity.

However, if I use the squeeze theorem to say that 0<(cos[n])^2<1 and then divide everything by 2^n, then I can say that this function approaches 0.

Which is the correct method?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2008 #2

Vid

The derivative of [tex]2^{n} = ln(2)*2^{n}[/tex], and the derivative of [tex]cos^{2}(n) = -2cos(n)sin(n).[/tex]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2008
  4. Feb 1, 2008 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

i) The sequence isn't infinity/infinity. You just said 0<=cos(n)^2<=1. How can it be infinity/infinity?? So you can't use l'Hopital. 2) The derivative of 2^n is NOT 2. The squeeze argument is correct.

5. Feb 1, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I would also point out that [itex]\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} sin(n)[/itex] is NOT infinity. It just doesn't exist.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?