What is the Limit of This Complex Function as z Approaches i?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the limit of a complex function as z approaches i. The approach of using a Taylor expansion and a polynomial division is mentioned, but the answer given in the solution does not match the one obtained through this method. It is later discovered that the numerator in the original function should be z^2+1 instead of z^2+i, and a simple factoring of the denominator gives the correct answer of -0.5. However, it is also noted that setting z=i in the original function would have immediately shown that the limit does not exist.
TheCanadian
I am trying to find the limit of ## \frac {z^2 + i}{z^4 - 1} ## as ## z ## approaches ##i##.

I've broken the solution down to: ##\frac {(z + \sqrt{i})(z - \sqrt{i})}{(z+1)(z-1)(z+i)(z-i)} ## but this does not seem to get me anywhere. The solution says ## -0.5 ## but I don't quite understand how they arrived at that answer. I may be missing something very obvious, but any thoughts on how I can change my approach?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I wonder if the book made a mistake or you copied the problem incorrectly. The approach I would recommend is a Taylor expansion of the denominator about z=i and similarly for the numerator. I could have miscalculated, but I don't get a finite limit. I think the numerator should say z^2+1. ..editing... Doing that does give the book's answer.

Last edited:
Charles Link said:
I wonder if the book made a mistake or you copied the problem incorrectly. The approach I would recommend is a Taylor expansion of the denominator about z=i and similarly for the numerator. I could have miscalculated, but I don't get a finite limit. I think the numerator should say z^2+1. ..editing... Doing that does give the book's answer.
And I made a polynomial division of the inverse quotient and got ##0##.

fresh_42 said:
And I made a polynomial division of the inverse quotient and got ##0##.
editing =I missed the term "inverse quotient". But make the numerator ## z^2+1 ## and you should get the book's answer. I think it's a typo somewhere i.e. either the OP copied it wrong or the book has a typo.

Charles Link said:
Can you supply a little more detail and/or try computing it again? z^4-1 is in the denominator.
Yes. I divided ##(z^4-1) : (z^2+i) = z^2 - i - \frac{2}{z^2+i}## which is ##0## for ##z=i##. That is to say you were right, the limit in question doesn't exists.

Likes Charles Link
Charles Link said:

That is possible. My e-copies are slightly blurry, but I've attached the problem and solution. I will admit the limit of ##z## isn't very clear in the image, but that seems to be an i based on previous questions.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-09-22 at 10.56.22 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-09-22 at 10.56.22 PM.png
    681 bytes · Views: 366
  • Screen Shot 2016-09-22 at 10.56.05 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-09-22 at 10.56.05 PM.png
    6.1 KB · Views: 405
TheCanadian said:
That is possible. My e-copies are slightly blurry, but I've attached the problem and solution. I will admit the limit of ##z## isn't very clear in the image, but that seems to be an i based on previous questions.
It needs to be ## z^2+1 ## in the numerator.

Charles Link said:
It needs to be ## z^2+1 ##.

Then the problem is resolved. Likely just a typo in the book—thanks for pointing it out.

Likes Charles Link
However, I've typed it into Wolfram and got -1 as the result. They made a Taylor expansion at i.
I'm confused.

fresh_42 said:
However, I've typed it into Wolfram and got -1 as the result. They made a Taylor expansion at i.
I'm confused.
Take a few minutes and recompute it... The denominator gives (using ## f(z)=z^4-1 ##) ## \ ## ## f(z)=f(i)+f'(i)(z-i)+...=0+4z^3 (z-i) +... =4(i^3)(z-i) ## Meanwhile ## z^2+1 ## factors as ## (z+i)(z-i) ##. (Could do Taylor series in numerator also, but this is quicker.)

Likes TheCanadian and fresh_42
TheCanadian said:
I am trying to find the limit of ## \frac {z^2 + i}{z^4 - 1} ## as ## z ## approaches ##i##.

I've broken the solution down to: ##\frac {(z + \sqrt{i})(z - \sqrt{i})}{(z+1)(z-1)(z+i)(z-i)} ## but this does not seem to get me anywhere. The solution says ## -0.5 ## but I don't quite understand how they arrived at that answer. I may be missing something very obvious, but any thoughts on how I can change my approach?

Limits are only tricky if they result in something of the form ##0/0## or ##\pm \infty/\pm \infty##. In this case, you simply set ##z = i## to get something of the form ##(-1 + i)/0## and you know the limit does not exist without the need for further analysis.

PeroK said:
Limits are only tricky if they result in something of the form ##0/0## or ##\pm \infty/\pm \infty##. In this case, you simply set ##z = i## to get something of the form ##(-1 + i)/0## and you know the limit does not exist without the need for further analysis.
The problem on this one is the OP had the answer the book gave, and it did not agree with what we were computing. Now that we believe it should read ## (z^2+1)/(z^4-1) ## , a simple factoring of the denominator ## (z^2+1)/((z^2-1)(z^2+1)) ## is probably the quickest approach. The Taylor series also worked well for this one.

Charles Link said:
The problem on this one is the OP had the answer the book gave, and it did not agree with what we were computing. Now that we believe it should read ## (z^2+1)/(z^4-1) ## , a simple factoring of the denominator ## (z^2+1)/((z^2-1)(z^2+1)) ## is probably the quickest approach. The Taylor series also worked well for this one.

Yes, but with the question as originally quoted there was not a need for any analysis. Nor was any analysis going to change the simple answer that could be obtained by setting ##z = i## in the original expression.

What is the limit of a complex function?

The limit of a complex function is the value that the function approaches as the input value gets closer and closer to a certain point.

How is the limit of a complex function different from a real function?

The limit of a complex function involves two-dimensional inputs and outputs, while a real function only has one-dimensional inputs and outputs. This means that the limit of a complex function can approach different values depending on the direction from which the input approaches the point, while the limit of a real function only has one possible value.

How do you find the limit of a complex function?

To find the limit of a complex function, you can use the same techniques as finding the limit of a real function, such as direct substitution, factoring, or using algebraic manipulations. However, with complex functions, you also need to consider approaching the point from different directions to determine if the limit exists.

When does the limit of a complex function not exist?

The limit of a complex function does not exist if the function approaches different values as the input approaches the point from different directions. This is known as a "jump discontinuity" or a "removable discontinuity."

What is the importance of understanding the limit of a complex function?

Understanding the limit of a complex function is important in many areas of science, particularly in physics, engineering, and mathematics. It allows us to determine the behavior of a complex function near a certain point and make predictions about its behavior. Additionally, it is a fundamental concept in calculus and is necessary for solving many problems in higher-level math and science courses.