Exploring the Limits of f(x,y): Why (x,0) and (0,y) Matter

In summary: That is, as (x, 0) goes to (0, 0) and (0, y) goes to (0, 0), (x, y) goes to the same point, (0, 0).In summary, when taking a limit of a multivariable function, we use the points (x,0) and (0,y) to determine if the limit exists. If the outputs at these points are different, then the limit does not exist. However, as (x,0) and (0,y) approach (0,0), the limiting point is the same, indicating that the limit exists. This concept can be explained by understanding that (x,0) and (0
says

Homework Statement

When we are taking a limit of a multivariable function, why do we use the points (x,0) and (0,y) to find out if the limit doesn't exist? They are two different points, no? If they are two different points then wouldn't they go to different points on the z-axis?

If we have a function, f(x,y), the output will be on the z-axis.
There are infinitely many ways in which we can get to a point on the surface (z-axis)

So if we start at the point (x,0) and apply the function we should end up at a point z.
and if we start at the point (0,y) and apply the function we should end up at the same point z.

Is that statement correct? It doesn't sound right. I'm having a little conceptual problem here so I'm trying to understand it in very simplistic language before i put it into more mathematically rigorous terms.

If we want to get to point C (f(x,y)), we can get there from point A (0,y) or point B (x,0). We would have to take different paths to get to C, but we WOULD get to C. If we found the C was different for A and B then we would say C (the limit) does not exist.

But then if there are infinitely many paths I can take to get to C, then doesn't that mean there are infinitely many points on the z-axis that I could go to? If that is so, then how do we know (0,y) and (x,0) should end up at the same point?

Sorry, I hope I haven't confused anyone with my question.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
says said:

Homework Statement

When we are taking a limit of a multivariable function, why do we use the points (x,0) and (0,y) to find out if the limit doesn't exist? They are two different points, no? If they are two different points then wouldn't they go to different points on the z-axis?

If we have a function, f(x,y), the output will be on the z-axis.
There are infinitely many ways in which we can get to a point on the surface (z-axis)

So if we start at the point (x,0) and apply the function we should end up at a point z.
and if we start at the point (0,y) and apply the function we should end up at the same point z.

Most textbook problems on this topic give "easy" problems by asking for a limit as ##(x,y)\to (0,0)##. I'm guessing that is the type of limit you are working with. If so, when you let x or y in your above example go to zero, the limiting point is ##(x,y)=(0,0)##. You are just approaching it along two different paths. The point of trying that is that, in the case the limit doesn't exist, you might get lucky and get two different answers along those two paths. Then you would know the limit doesn't exist and you are done with the problem.

Is that statement correct? It doesn't sound right. I'm having a little conceptual problem here so I'm trying to understand it in very simplistic language before i put it into more mathematically rigorous terms.

If we want to get to point C (f(x,y)), we can get there from point A (0,y) or point B (x,0). We would have to take different paths to get to C, but we WOULD get to C. If we found the C was different for A and B then we would say C (the limit) does not exist.

But then if there are infinitely many paths I can take to get to C, then doesn't that mean there are infinitely many points on the z-axis that I could go to? If that is so, then how do we know (0,y) and (x,0) should end up at the same point?

Sorry, I hope I haven't confused anyone with my question.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

But (x,0) and (0,y) are different points aren't they? so wouldn;t they point to different points of the surface?

says said:
But (x,0) and (0,y) are different points aren't they? so wouldn;t they point to different points of the surface?
"(x, 0)" and "(0, y)" are not points!. Since x and y are variables, they are lines- specifically the x and y axes. And you are taking the limits as x and y go to 0 so both going to (0, 0).

What is the purpose of exploring the limits of f(x,y)?

The purpose of exploring the limits of f(x,y) is to understand the behavior of a function as the input values approach certain values, such as x = 0 or y = 0. This can help us analyze the behavior of functions and make predictions about their values.

Why do (x,0) and (0,y) matter in this context?

In this context, (x,0) and (0,y) represent the x and y intercepts of the function. These points are important because they can give us information about the behavior of the function as the input values approach 0.

How do (x,0) and (0,y) relate to the overall graph of the function?

The x and y intercepts are points on the graph where the function crosses the x and y axes, respectively. These points can help us visualize the behavior of the function and determine its overall shape.

What are the different types of limits that can be explored in this context?

In this context, there are three types of limits that can be explored: horizontal limits, vertical limits, and diagonal limits. These limits help us understand how the function behaves as the input values approach certain values.

What are some real-world applications of exploring the limits of f(x,y)?

Exploring the limits of f(x,y) has many real-world applications, such as in physics, engineering, and economics. For example, in physics, limits can help us understand the behavior of a system as it approaches certain values, such as the speed of light. In economics, limits can help us analyze the behavior of markets and predict future trends.