Limit of Logarithmic Function as n Goes to Infinity

• Thread starter EV33
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the students are trying to find a limit for a function, and are not able to do so due to lack of knowledge of certain sequence theorems. If they were to be able to prove that the limit is zero, then they would have evaluated the limit.
EV33

Homework Statement

Does anyone have any idea how to take the limit of log(n)/sqrt(n) as n goes to infinity?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know it is zero by my good old calculator but I am not aware of any theorems that I could use to solve this. If anyone could give me a hint on how to start that would be very helpful.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org

EV33 said:

Homework Statement

Does anyone have any idea how to take the limit of log(n)/sqrt(n) as n goes to infinity?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know it is zero by my good old calculator but I am not aware of any theorems that I could use to solve this. If anyone could give me a hint on how to start that would be very helpful.

Thank you.

Have you learned about L'Hopital's rules for finding limits of indeterminate forms? (in this case, infty/infty)

L'hospitals ?!

╔(σ_σ)╝ said:
L'hospitals ?!

It used to be l'Hospital. French spelling has changed. Probably ought have the circumflex over the o though.

No we haven't learned that. We are trying to prove that this limit is zero not evaluate it!

EV33 said:
No we haven't learned that. We are trying to prove that this limit is zero not evaluate it!

I guess you could exponentiate your sequence, show that it goes to one, then take the log at the end.

EV33 said:

If you've proved the limit is zero, then you have evaluated it. If you haven't done l'Hopital yet then try malicx idea of looking at lim log(e^n)/sqrt(e^n). Apply a 'ratio test'. Show it's bounded by a geometric sequence r^n with r<1.

Thank you Dick. But are you basically doing substitution there because evaluating that limit with some random e^x in there doesn't make sense with anything we have done in our course so far.

EV33 said:
Thank you Dick. But are you basically doing substitution there because evaluating that limit with some random e^x in there doesn't make sense with anything we have done in our course so far.

If lim f(n) as n->infinity has a limit, then that limit is the same as the limit of f(e^n) as n->infinity. Because as n->infinity, e^n also goes to infinity.

EV33 said:

Well... lim log(n)/sqrt(n) = lim log(e^n)/sqrt(e^n), since in either case, e^n and n both go to infinity (one just does it faster!)

There are a lot of sequence theorems involved with sequences, functions, and combinations of both but I don't know which you have learned or are expected to know.

So, given that, can you squeeze your sequence between another couple sequences that have the same limit?

Maybe you can something about the limit of the function:

[tex]
x \, \ln{x}
[/tex]

when [itex]x \rightarrow 0[/itex].

1. What is a limit theorem problem?

A limit theorem problem is a type of mathematical problem that deals with the concept of limits, which describe the behavior of a function as its input approaches a certain value. These types of problems are commonly encountered in calculus and other areas of mathematics.

2. What are the different types of limit theorems?

There are several types of limit theorems, including the central limit theorem, the strong law of large numbers, and the weak law of large numbers. Each of these theorems describes the behavior of a specific type of random variable as the sample size or number of trials increases.

3. How are limit theorems used in real-world applications?

Limit theorems have many practical applications, particularly in statistics and probability. They are used to make predictions about the behavior of large groups or populations based on a smaller sample. For example, the central limit theorem is often used in quality control to determine the likelihood of a product meeting certain specifications based on a sample of products.

4. What are some common misconceptions about limit theorems?

One common misconception is that limit theorems only apply to perfectly random situations. In reality, these theorems can still be useful in situations where there may be some underlying pattern or bias. Additionally, some people may mistakenly believe that limit theorems can predict exact outcomes, when in fact they only describe the general behavior of a function or variable.

5. How can I solve limit theorem problems?

Solving limit theorem problems involves understanding the concepts and principles behind the theorems, as well as having a strong foundation in calculus and other mathematical techniques. It is also important to carefully read and interpret the given problem, and to practice applying limit theorems to different types of functions and scenarios.