Limit of quantum mechanics as h -> 0

In summary, the Heisenberg equation of motion can be approximated by the classical Poisson bracket. The equation you attempted to derive is actually$$\frac{d\hat{p}}{dt}=F(\hat{x})$$where $$F(x)=-\frac{\partial V(x)}{\partial x}$$Note that ##\hat{p}## and ##\hat{x}## are quantum operators, so the first equation is not yet classical. To get something classical-like you have to take the quantum average of it$$\frac{d\langle\psi|\hat{p}|\psi\rangle}{dt}=
offscene
TL;DR Summary
I recently saw an explanation for how quantum mechanics approaches classical mechanics at the limit of Planck's constant becoming 0 using the Heisenberg equation of motion but am confused about what it is about this limit that reduces the equation of motion to its classical limit.
Starting from the Heisenberg equation of motion, we have

$$ih \frac{\partial p}{\partial t} = [p, H]$$
which simplifies to $$ih \frac{\partial p}{\partial t} = -ih\frac{\partial V}{\partial x}$$
but this just results in ## \frac{\partial p}{\partial t} = -ih\frac{\partial V}{\partial x}## and I'm not sure where the limit of the Planck's constant was even used. Can anyone point out my mistake or help me understand?

Physics news on Phys.org
offscene said:
I recently saw an explanation f

where?

Likes Vanadium 50 and topsquark
offscene said:
but this just results in ## \frac{\partial p}{\partial t} = -ih\frac{\partial V}{\partial x}##
No, it results in ## \frac{\partial p}{\partial t} = -\frac{\partial V}{\partial x}##.

Likes hutchphd, topsquark and malawi_glenn
Classical Poisson bracket { } , https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poisson_bracket, corresponds with quantum commutator [ ] with
[tex] \frac{[\ \ ]}{i\hbar} \rightarrow \{\ \ \}[/tex]
in classical limit. ##\frac{\partial V}{\partial x}## comes from classical Poisson bracket.

Likes topsquark
The equation you attempted to derive is actually
$$\frac{d\hat{p}}{dt}=F(\hat{x})$$
where
$$F(x)=-\frac{\partial V(x)}{\partial x}$$
Note that ##\hat{p}## and ##\hat{x}## are quantum operators, so the first equation is not yet classical. To get something classical-like you have to take the quantum average of it
$$\frac{d\langle\psi|\hat{p}|\psi\rangle}{dt}=\langle\psi|F(\hat{x})|\psi\rangle$$
which is called the Ehrenfest theorem. But this is still not the classical equation. The classical equation is obtained if the right-hand side can be approximated as
$$\langle\psi|F(\hat{x})|\psi\rangle \approx F(\langle\psi|\hat{x}|\psi\rangle)$$
It is this last approximation that requires the small ##\hbar## limit, which I leave as an exercise for you. (Hint: Assume that ##\langle x|\psi(t)\rangle=\psi(x,t)## is a narrow wave packet, thus resembling a classical particle with well defined position.)

Last edited:
Likes topsquark and malawi_glenn
offscene said:
TL;DR Summary: I recently saw an explanation for how quantum mechanics approaches classical mechanics at the limit of Planck's constant becoming 0 using the Heisenberg equation of motion but am confused about what it is about this limit that reduces the equation of motion to its classical limit.

Starting from the Heisenberg equation of motion, we have

$$ih \frac{\partial p}{\partial t} = [p, H]$$
which simplifies to $$ih \frac{\partial p}{\partial t} = -ih\frac{\partial V}{\partial x}$$
but this just results in ## \frac{\partial p}{\partial t} = -ih\frac{\partial V}{\partial x}## and I'm not sure where the limit of the Planck's constant was even used. Can anyone point out my mistake or help me understand?
I wrote an insight about it. I believe I called it: The classical limit of commutators, or something similar

Likes offscene, anuttarasammyak and malawi_glenn

1. What is the significance of the limit of quantum mechanics as h approaches 0?

The limit of quantum mechanics as h approaches 0 is known as the classical limit. It represents a transition from the behavior of particles at the quantum scale to the behavior of particles at the classical scale. In other words, it is the point at which quantum mechanics starts to break down and classical mechanics takes over.

2. How does the limit of quantum mechanics as h approaches 0 affect our understanding of the physical world?

The limit of quantum mechanics as h approaches 0 challenges our traditional understanding of the physical world by showing that at the smallest scales, the behavior of particles is unpredictable and can only be described by probabilities. This challenges the deterministic view of classical mechanics and highlights the need for a new understanding of the fundamental nature of reality.

3. Can the limit of quantum mechanics as h approaches 0 be observed in real-world experiments?

Yes, the limit of quantum mechanics as h approaches 0 can be observed in certain experiments, such as the double-slit experiment. In this experiment, particles behave as both waves and particles, demonstrating the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics. As h approaches 0, the wave-like behavior becomes less apparent and the particle-like behavior dominates, leading to the classical limit.

4. How does the limit of quantum mechanics as h approaches 0 relate to the uncertainty principle?

The limit of quantum mechanics as h approaches 0 is closely related to the uncertainty principle, which states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle with absolute certainty. As h approaches 0, the uncertainty principle becomes less apparent and the behavior of particles becomes more predictable, leading to the classical limit.

5. Are there any theories that attempt to reconcile the classical and quantum limits?

Yes, there are several theories that attempt to reconcile the classical and quantum limits, such as the pilot-wave theory and the many-worlds interpretation. These theories propose alternative explanations for the behavior of particles at the quantum scale and attempt to bridge the gap between the classical and quantum worlds.