1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit points

1. Dec 6, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have seen two definitions of limit points. Are they the same:

1)x is a limit point of a set A in X iff each nbhd of x contains a point of A other than x

2) x is a limit point of A if it lies in the closure of A - {x}

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2007 #2
    No, not quite. The second is not a definition of a limit point.

A point x in a metric space is said to be a limit point if every neighborhood of x contains at least one element in the metric space not equal to x.

Consider A', the set of all limit points of A. The closure of A is A U A'.
  4. Dec 6, 2007 #3
    Actually, I just realized that those two definitions are the same for the following reason:

x is in the closure of A-{x}
    x is in every closed set containing A-{x}
    there does not exist a nbhd U_x of s.t. [tex] U_x \cap (A-{x}) = \emptyset [/tex]
  5. Dec 6, 2007 #4
    Am I right?
  6. Dec 6, 2007 #5
    If you're right, you'll be able to prove it.

You're just making everything exponentially more complicated than it actually is. True mathematicians aim for simplicity.
  7. Dec 6, 2007 #6
    What are you talking about? I am asking if my proof in the third post makes sense.
  8. Dec 6, 2007 #7
    Someone, please, am I right?
  9. Dec 6, 2007 #8

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It looks OK, but you're somewhat over-complicating it. Try to use the fact that y is in the closure of B iff every nbhd of y intersects B.
  10. Dec 6, 2007 #9
    Then the equivalence of those two definitions is immediate, isn't it? I really do not understand why two people have said I am overcomplicating this...
  11. Dec 7, 2007 #10
    I was saying if it makes sense, it has a proof. So if you can't come up with a solid proof, there's a higher chance it doesn't make sense.

But see, in your second "definition" you talk about the closure of a set A. But the closure is defined as the set A unioned with the set of all of A's limit points. And then you still need a definition for a limit point. So it comes down to the fact that you want to use the term in the definition, which just further complicates things. That's what I mean.
  12. Dec 7, 2007 #11
    The closure of A is defined as the intersection of all closed sets containing A. It is equivalently A union A'. Both of these definitions are commonly found in the literature and indeed, they are the seem. I think that you are complicating things and that you should make sure you know more about the topic before you say that something is or is not a definition.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?