Limit problem with square root

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of simplifying the expression absval(x^1/2-a^1/2) and how it is equal to abval(x-a)/(x^1/2-a^1/2). The conversation also touches on the proof of the limit of the function f(x) = root x as x approaches a, and the assumption that x and a are both positive in this case. The original question is to show that the limit of f(x) equals root a as x approaches a, and the conversation concludes with the realization that the assumption of x being positive can be pulled out of the absolute value.
chimath35
I have done this problem before but forgot how to get from one step to the next:

let a>0.

how is absval(x^1/2-a^1/2) equal to abval(x-a)/(x^1/2-a^1/2)?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I think you want to express
$$\sqrt{x}-\sqrt{a}=\frac{(\sqrt{x}-\sqrt{a})(\sqrt{x}+\sqrt{a})}{\sqrt{x}+\sqrt{a}}=\frac{x-a}{\sqrt{x}+\sqrt{a}}$$
right? If so, it just applies the law ##(a+b)(a-b)=a^2-b^2.##

Likes chimath35
They are not equal. What was the original question?

tommyxu3 said:
I think you want to express
$$\sqrt{x}-\sqrt{a}=\frac{(\sqrt{x}-\sqrt{a})(\sqrt{x}+\sqrt{a})}{\sqrt{x}+\sqrt{a}}=\frac{x-a}{\sqrt{x}+\sqrt{a}}$$
right? If so, it just applies the law ##(a+b)(a-b)=a^2-b^2.##
but the abs val goes away on the denom. that is what I don't understand, you can't assume root x - root a is positive

Rinzler09 said:
They are not equal. What was the original question?
let f(x) equal root x show that as x→a lim f(x) equals root a

chimath35 said:
let f(x) equal root x show that as x→a lim f(x) equals root a
also a>0

chimath35 said:
but the abs val goes away on the denom. that is what I don't understand, you can't assume root x - root a is positive
sorry I meant you can't assume root x plus root a is positive, if say c∈ℝ and c>0 then abs val(c⋅x)=c⋅abs val(x)

never mind I figured out, but thanks for the replies

To show ##\displaystyle{\lim_{x\rightarrow a}}\sqrt{x}=\sqrt{a},## you ought to prove for any ##x\in (a-\delta, a+\delta),## ##\exists \varepsilon## such that ##|f(x)-f(a)|<\varepsilon.##

tommyxu3 said:
To show ##\displaystyle{\lim_{x\rightarrow a}}\sqrt{x}=\sqrt{a},## you ought to prove for any ##x\in (a-\delta, a+\delta),## ##\exists \varepsilon## such that ##|f(x)-f(a)|<\varepsilon.##
Thanks, yeah I have done this proof before. I just made a mistake thinking about negatives when clearly root x plus root a is always positive and therefore can be pulled out of the abs val

chimath35 said:
Thanks, yeah I have done this proof before. I just made a mistake thinking about negatives when clearly root x plus root a is always positive and therefore can be pulled out of the abs val
I mean it assumes that x>0. The problem did not state that although I guess it is just assumed considering it is real analysis.

What is a limit problem with square root?

A limit problem with square root is a type of mathematical problem that involves determining the value of a limit as the variable approaches a square root. This typically requires applying limit laws and algebraic manipulations to simplify the expression.

How do you solve a limit problem with square root?

To solve a limit problem with square root, you can start by applying limit laws and simplifying the expression as much as possible. Then, you can use algebraic manipulations such as rationalizing the numerator or denominator to get rid of any square roots. Finally, you can either plug in the value of the variable or use techniques such as L'Hôpital's rule to evaluate the limit.

What are some common mistakes when solving a limit problem with square root?

Some common mistakes when solving a limit problem with square root include not applying limit laws correctly, forgetting to rationalize the numerator or denominator, and making algebraic errors. It is also important to check for any extraneous solutions that may arise during the simplification process.

What are some tips for solving limit problems with square root?

One tip for solving limit problems with square root is to always start by simplifying the expression as much as possible. This can make the problem easier to work with and may reveal any patterns or limit laws that can be applied. It is also important to be careful with algebraic manipulations and to check for any restrictions on the variable.

What real-world applications involve limit problems with square root?

Limit problems with square root can be used to model various real-world scenarios, such as calculating the maximum height of a projectile or the speed of an object as it approaches a certain point. They are also commonly used in physics and engineering to solve problems involving motion and optimization.