1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit problem with square root

1. Aug 22, 2015 #1
    I have done this problem before but forgot how to get from one step to the next:

let a>0.

how is absval(x^1/2-a^1/2) equal to abval(x-a)/(x^1/2-a^1/2)?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 22, 2015 #2
    I think you want to express
    $$\sqrt{x}-\sqrt{a}=\frac{(\sqrt{x}-\sqrt{a})(\sqrt{x}+\sqrt{a})}{\sqrt{x}+\sqrt{a}}=\frac{x-a}{\sqrt{x}+\sqrt{a}}$$
    right? If so, it just applies the law ##(a+b)(a-b)=a^2-b^2.##

4. Aug 22, 2015 #3
    They are not equal. What was the original question?

5. Aug 22, 2015 #4
    but the abs val goes away on the denom. that is what I don't understand, you can't assume root x - root a is positive

6. Aug 22, 2015 #5
    let f(x) equal root x show that as x→a lim f(x) equals root a

7. Aug 22, 2015 #6
    also a>0

8. Aug 22, 2015 #7
    sorry I meant you can't assume root x plus root a is positive, if say c∈ℝ and c>0 then abs val(c⋅x)=c⋅abs val(x)

9. Aug 22, 2015 #8
    never mind I figured out, but thanks for the replies

10. Aug 22, 2015 #9
    To show ##\displaystyle{\lim_{x\rightarrow a}}\sqrt{x}=\sqrt{a},## you ought to prove for any ##x\in (a-\delta, a+\delta),## ##\exists \varepsilon## such that ##|f(x)-f(a)|<\varepsilon.##

11. Aug 22, 2015 #10
    Thanks, yeah I have done this proof before. I just made a mistake thinking about negatives when clearly root x plus root a is always positive and therefore can be pulled out of the abs val

12. Aug 22, 2015 #11
    I mean it assumes that x>0. The problem did not state that although I guess it is just assumed considering it is real analysis.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook