Finding the Limit of n(ln(n+10) - ln(n))

• Thread starter physstudent1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the limit of n(ln(n+10)-ln(n)) as n approaches infinity is equal to 10. This can be found by combining the logarithms, using log rules, or writing it as an infinite sum and taking the limit.
physstudent1

Homework Statement

find the limit as n->oo of n(ln(n+10)-ln(n))

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

the answer is 10 this is also part of my exam review I am pretty lost on this one I tried using log rules to combine the terms tried getting it in form for L'H but I don't know what to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
What did you try?

I think I just found the answer...I combined the ln terms so ln((n+10)/n)^n = L then I exponentiated both sides to give ((n+10)/n)^n= e^L then The limit of (1 + 10/n)^n = e^10 = e^L so taking the ln of both sides gives 10 = L (I know the limit of (1 + 10/n)^n = e^10 because it is a given formula on my formula sheet)

That's one way. To use log rules try ln(n+10)-ln(n)=ln((n+10)/n)=ln(1+10/n). Now write it as ln(1+10/n)/(1/n) which is 0/0 and do l'Hopital.

I keep getting the wrong answer with this method I do L'H from where you said and I get (n/(1+10)*(-1(1+10)/n^2)*-n^2 ...

Last edited:
finally got it thanks

Even if you got it, I can point out another method. Combine the two logarithms to get n*ln(1+10/n), then write ln as an infinite sum (ln(1+x)=x-x^2/2+x^3/3-... if -1<x<1, which obviously is true for n->oo), and the solution comes immediately.

lim(n(ln(n+10)-lnn)=10
n__>inf

the lim.solution:

Attachments

• lim(n).JPG
    lim(n).JPG
    14.3 KB · Views: 370

1. What is the limit of n(ln(n+10) - ln(n)) as n approaches infinity?

The limit of n(ln(n+10) - ln(n)) as n approaches infinity is infinity.

2. How do you find the limit of n(ln(n+10) - ln(n))?

To find the limit of n(ln(n+10) - ln(n)), you can use the rule of logarithmic differentiation or the l'Hôpital's rule.

3. What is the significance of finding the limit of n(ln(n+10) - ln(n))?

Finding the limit of n(ln(n+10) - ln(n)) can help to determine the behavior of a function as the input value approaches infinity. It can also help to understand the rate of change of a function and its growth or decay.

4. Can the limit of n(ln(n+10) - ln(n)) be negative?

No, the limit of n(ln(n+10) - ln(n)) cannot be negative as the natural logarithm of a positive number is always positive.

5. How does the value of n affect the limit of n(ln(n+10) - ln(n))?

The value of n does not affect the limit of n(ln(n+10) - ln(n)) as the limit will always approach infinity regardless of the value of n.