Limit Quote Length - Is It Necessary?

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
In summary: If someone is quoting posts in their entirety because they're trying to be malicious, a max length isn't going to get them to stop. If someone is quoting posts in their entirety because they're trying to make it difficult for anyone to answer the question, a max length isn't going to get them to stop. If someone is quoting posts in their entirety to show that the post they're responding to is wrong, a max length isn't going to get them to stop. In summary, A max length for quoted text is not a solution to the issue of long quotes. It is unlikely to solve any problems and people should rely on their own judgment when quoting content.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
Is it really necessary to slap quotes around an entire post? At best it is irritating and useless, at worst it is self-defeating.

https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...ilities-of-depth-when-volume-is-given.801887/
Not picking on LCK (though I'd think he'd know better), but this is quite common.

If common sense does not prevail, is there a way of putting an upper limit of the size of quoted text?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can't legislate common sense.

Hey! My ears are burning here. If the stupid copy/paste quoting feature of these boards worked properly we wouldn't have this problem. I have complained before that if you make a selection and reply it messes up any Latex that might be in the quoted part. So we are left with either not quoting at all or using the reply which either quotes the whole post or requires a nuisance step of editing out bunches of it. Neither option is ideal. Sometimes I do one or the other; sometimes I'm in a hurry and don't bother. In either case I'm not in any mood to accept flak about "common sense".

OK. That's fair.:wink:

We used to have a feature that visually truncated long quotes, but members complained :)

I hated that "faded" quote feature. I also find problems with the quote feature, it's wonky. Sometimes it will quote only what I highlight, other times it quotes the entire post, despite having only selected one sentence. Very frustrating.

LCKurtz said:
If the stupid copy/paste quoting feature of these boards worked properly we wouldn't have this problem
Xenforo and MathJax aren't designed to communicate with each other. As you well know, when you copy latex processed text it doesn't copy the code behind it that was used to form it. You can't just copy that back in because you lose the code. This is a limitation on many levels between Xenforo, MathJax, your browser and your operating system. One that I don't see being remedied for many reasons.

Evo said:
Sometimes it will quote only what I highlight, other times it quotes the entire post, despite having only selected one sentence.
Hmmm I've never had this happen. Are you sure you didn't have saved up multi quotes that you didn't know about?

Greg Bernhardt said:
Hmmm I've never had this happen. Are you sure you didn't have saved up multi quotes that you didn't know about?
Yes. And another issue I'm having is that my text as I'm typing continues to be invisible and I have to close my browser, chrome, and re-open. This happens almost daily and often several times a day. I feel like I've been placed into the *miserable users* group.

Evo said:
Yes. And another issue I'm having is that my text as I'm typing continues to be invisible and I have to close my browser, chrome, and re-open. This happens almost daily and often several times a day. I feel like I've been placed into the *miserable users* group.
Wish I could help but I've never heard or experienced this. Have you ran a malware scan lately?

Greg Bernhardt said:
Wish I could help but I've never heard or experienced this. Have you ran a malware scan lately?
We discussed it months ago, other members were having the same issue with their text becoming invisible, it was mostly in chat at the time, right after the switch. We all used chrome. You couldn't figure out what the problem was, so I've just been bearing with the problem, the other members have disappeared.

Evo said:
We discussed it months ago, other members were having the same issue with their text becoming invisible, it was mostly in chat at the time, right after trhe switch. We all used chrome. You couldn't figure out what the problem was, so I've just been bearing with the problem, the other members have disappeared.
Holy sh#&%t! First the text disappears then it progresses to the users themselves and they disappear. I knew chromium was toxic but this is worse than measles...

Likes Nugatory and Evo
LCKurtz said:
I'm not in any mood to accept flak about "common sense".

Not directed at you. The point is if you say, "I allow a quote of X lines" and you find yourself needing X+1 what are you supposed to do? DaveC426913 wants shorter quotes. There is simply no way to implement a rigid rule on quote lengths that will work in both cases. You have to rely on people's judgment.

DaveC426913 said:
Is it really necessary to slap quotes around an entire post? At best it is irritating and useless, at worst it is self-defeating.

https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...ilities-of-depth-when-volume-is-given.801887/
Not picking on LCK (though I'd think he'd know better), but this is quite common.

If common sense does not prevail, is there a way of putting an upper limit of the size of quoted text?
That's a homework thread. Helpers have previously been encouraged to routinely quote the first post in a homework thread in its entirety, to make it more difficult for people to post questions and then delete or change them when they've been answered. I haven't seen anyone do that myself, but people have assured me that it happens.

A max length seems unlikely to solve any problems. If someone is quoting posts in their entirety because they're too lazy to copy/paste some quote tags, a max length isn't going to get them to change.

Likes Nugatory

Related to Limit Quote Length - Is It Necessary?

1. What is the purpose of limiting quote length?

The purpose of limiting quote length is to ensure that quotes are concise and to the point. It also helps to prevent the misuse of quotes, such as taking them out of context or using them to manipulate the meaning of a statement.

2. How do you determine the appropriate quote length?

The appropriate quote length can vary depending on the context and purpose of the quote. In general, a quote should be no longer than a few sentences and should capture the essence of the original statement or idea.

3. Is limiting quote length necessary for all types of writing?

No, limiting quote length may not be necessary for all types of writing. For example, in academic or research writing, longer quotes may be used to provide evidence or support for a specific argument or idea.

4. What are the potential consequences of not limiting quote length?

Not limiting quote length can lead to the overuse or misuse of quotes, which can undermine the credibility of the writer and the accuracy of the information being presented. It can also make the writing appear cluttered and difficult to read.

5. Are there any exceptions to limiting quote length?

Yes, there may be exceptions to limiting quote length in certain circumstances. For example, if a longer quote is necessary to accurately convey the meaning of the original statement or if it is a direct quote from a source that cannot be paraphrased.