Limit of 2-Variable Function at (-1,1)

In summary, the problem asks for the limit as x approaches -1 and y approaches 1. The person tried to factorize the numerator and denominator, but was unsuccessful. They then suggested reducing the problem to a simpler substitution sum.
seasponges
Hello, I've been trying to solve the following limit for the last hour or so. I'm pretty much at a loss as to how to solve it (I need to do a lot of these kinds of problems, but I need to understand how to approach them first), so any pointers in the right direction would be appreciated.

[tex]\lim_{\substack{x\rightarrow -1\\y\rightarrow 1}} \frac{x^2 - y^2}{xy + y^2 + x + y}[/tex]

Thankyou.

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe you need to learn multivariable calculus basics? For limits,

http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcIII/Limits.aspx

It is a rather good webiste to learn Calculus basics in general, so I recommend that you explore it, as for your needs. Remember to try out the easier examples to get a good hang of it!

Thanks for the reply, but for this problem I don't think that site will help me very much, as I don't have a problem tackling any of the four problems it poses (the first two are just simple substitutions, and the second two just require the Two Path Test to demonstrate that no limit is approached). This problem differs from all those examples and I'm not how to solve it.

I guess I misunderstood that you needed to learn multivariable calculus from the first post..

Anyway, try reducing that expression to something simpler. (Hint: factorize the numerator and denominator, and see if there's something you can eliminate so that the problem becomes a simple substitution sum)

I've tried it, I can factorise the numerator (x+y)(x-y), but I can't factorise the demoninator, and don't see any available substitutions

seasponges said:
I can't factorise the demoninator

Why not? The terms are laid out to make it rather easy to factorize :smile:

You can write the denominator as...

[tex]y(x+y) + (x + y)[/tex]

Can you take it from here?

Last edited:
Yes I can, thankyou very much for your help!

You're welcome! :smile:

1. What is a limit with 2 variables?

A limit with 2 variables is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a function as two variables approach a specific point or value. It is used to determine the value that a function approaches as the two variables get closer and closer to a certain point.

2. How is a limit with 2 variables calculated?

A limit with 2 variables is calculated by plugging in the values of the two variables into the function and evaluating the result. This process is repeated for different values of the two variables, getting closer and closer to the specific point, until the value of the function approaches a single value.

3. What is the significance of finding the limit with 2 variables?

Finding the limit with 2 variables is important in understanding the behavior of a function at a specific point. It can help determine if a function is continuous and if it has a specific value at a certain point. It also allows for the prediction of the behavior of a function at points that cannot be directly evaluated.

4. Can a limit with 2 variables have a different value for each variable?

Yes, a limit with 2 variables can have different values for each variable. This is because the limit is determined by the behavior of the function as the two variables approach a specific point, so each variable can approach that point at a different rate or from a different direction.

5. How is a limit with 2 variables used in real-world applications?

A limit with 2 variables is used in many real-world applications, such as predicting the behavior of a chemical reaction, determining the optimal values for a production process, or calculating the flow of a fluid through a system. It is also used in physics and engineering to understand the behavior of complex systems.