1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Limits and difference of squares help

1. Sep 9, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

find the limit as x tends to 3 of [sqrt(2x+3)-x] / (x-3)

2. Relevant equations
    3. The attempt at a solution

This is from an old Protter textbook I am working through. I started with the difference of squares which results in

[2x + 3 - x^2]/ [(x-3)*sqrt(2x+3)+x]

but now I'm stuck. I can't seem to factor (x-3) out of the numerator.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2010 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: Limits

Well, you can. 2x+3-x^2 is equal to zero if you put x=3. Hence it must have a factor of x-3.

4. Sep 9, 2010 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I don't see any ways that involve the conjugate or factoring, but L'Hopital's Rule gives a result.

5. Sep 9, 2010 #4

Got it! That was all I needed.

Turns out that 2x+3-x^2 can be refactored a few ways. First of all, I rearranged the components to -x^2+2x+3 and then I determined both (-x+3)(x+1) ... and now I see it ... (x-3)(-x-1). That allows me to solve the limit correctly. I just didn't try hard enough with the -x^2 in there.

Regarding your point above here, does this property have a name? IE: if you can replace x with a number, then by definition, the function can be refactored into (x-#)(...). I've not noticed/appreciated that property before.

6. Sep 9, 2010 #5

Someone else mentioned that here at work but was quick to ask if the text had reviewed it. I'm only on chapter 2 so I think that L'Hopital's approach might avoid what the text, at this point, is trying to convey. Namely, learning how to refactor to find limits.

I'm just guessing though - its an old book. Thanks for the input!

7. Sep 9, 2010 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I like Dick's approach better - I prefer a factoring approach over using L'Hopital's Rule, since factoring is in a sense, a simpler approach.

BTW, in my first college calculus class we used one edition of the Protter & Morrey book. I still have it. It's very different from contemporary calculus texts - few illustrations, none in color. I probably paid less than $10 for it new.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook