Limits in 0/0 Calculus I Problem

• Thread starter RaptorsFan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limits
In summary, the conversation revolved around a calculus problem involving the limit of a function, specifically the function 1/x(1/(x+2)^2 -1/4). The person asking the question had tried various methods such as foiling, using formulas, and using a conjugate, but was still struggling to find the solution. The suggestion of using the "Squeeze" method or L'Hopital's rule was mentioned as possible solutions. Eventually, the person was able to solve the problem and found the answer to be -1/4.
RaptorsFan

Homework Statement

I'm in the early stages of Calculus I.. just doing the basics you learn in the Calc prep course.
This one problem is really getting me confused.

Homework Equations

Lim -> 0 in the function 1/x(1/(x+2)^2 -1/4)

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried foiling and cancelling, it hasn't worked.
I've tried a^2 - b^2 formula to cancel, that hasn't worked either
Tried using a conjugate without a root and that doesn't work
Would this be a case where 'The Squeeze' method would be necessary? Or is there a better way.. Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
You better show us your attempt at doing some algebra and cancelling the x. Because it works for me.

After about 10 attempts later and numerous sign errors and not simplifying stuff enough i finally got an answer of -1/4.. Thanks anyway guys!

Can try L'Hopital rule?

Lim -> 0 in the function 1/x(1/(x+2)^2 -1/4)

Do you mean this?

[tex] \lim_{x\to 0}\frac{1}{x} (\frac{1}{(x+2)^{2}} - \frac{1}{4}) [/tex]

Related to Limits in 0/0 Calculus I Problem

1. What is a limit in 0/0 Calculus I Problem?

A limit in 0/0 Calculus I Problem is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a function as its input approaches 0, also known as the "limit point." It is used to determine the value of a function at a specific point or to understand the overall behavior of the function.

2. How do you solve a limit in 0/0 Calculus I Problem?

To solve a limit in 0/0 Calculus I Problem, you can use various techniques such as algebraic manipulation, substitution, and L'Hôpital's rule. These methods involve simplifying the expression until you can evaluate the limit by plugging in the value of the limit point.

3. What does it mean when a limit in 0/0 Calculus I Problem is undefined?

If a limit in 0/0 Calculus I Problem is undefined, it means that the function does not have a well-defined value at the limit point. This can happen when the function has a vertical asymptote or a removable discontinuity at the limit point.

4. Why is it important to understand limits in 0/0 Calculus I Problem?

Limits in 0/0 Calculus I Problem are crucial in understanding the behavior of functions and solving various mathematical problems. They are used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to model real-world situations and make predictions. A thorough understanding of limits can also help in understanding more advanced mathematical concepts.

5. Can a limit in 0/0 Calculus I Problem have multiple solutions?

Yes, a limit in 0/0 Calculus I Problem can have multiple solutions, depending on the function and the limit point. Some functions may have a finite limit, while others may have a limit of infinity or negative infinity. It is important to carefully evaluate the function to determine the correct solution for a given limit problem.