Limits of Integration Variable

In summary: This is confusing.In summary, the conversation discusses the correct way to express a primitive function, F(x), in terms of a definite integral, where the variable x is placed in the limit superior or limit inferior. It is mentioned that the variable in the integral should be different from the variable used to represent the primitive function, and that using the same letter for two different things can be confusing.
Jhenrique
Knowing that the limits of integration of a any function, for example:
[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}\delta (x)dx=1[/tex]
I know that's correct call your primitive through the limit superior as a variable, so
[tex]H(x)=\int_{-\infty}^{x}\delta (x)dx[/tex]
But, and if I want to describe your primitive through the limit inferior as a variable? Will be so:
[tex]H(x)=\int_{-x}^{+\infty}\delta (x)dx[/tex]
or:
[tex]H(x)=\int_{+x}^{+\infty}\delta (x)dx[/tex]
or other?

Physics news on Phys.org
Jhenrique said:
Knowing that the limits of integration of a any function, for example:
[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}\delta (x)dx=1[/tex]
I am having a hard time understanding what you're saying and what you're asking. I can't tell if you're asking about some generic function whose integral is 1, or if your question is about the Dirac delta function (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirac_delta_function).

Jhenrique said:
I know that's correct call your primitive through the limit superior as a variable, so
[tex]H(x)=\int_{-\infty}^{x}\delta (x)dx[/tex]
Here H is a function of x. Clearly the value of H(x) is somewhere between 0 and 1.
Jhenrique said:
But, and if I want to describe your primitive through the limit inferior as a variable? Will be so:
[tex]H(x)=\int_{-x}^{+\infty}\delta (x)dx[/tex]
or:
[tex]H(x)=\int_{+x}^{+\infty}\delta (x)dx[/tex]
or other?

I saw that when you have a definite integral of a function f(x), you can to express the primitive, F(x), placing the variable x in limit superior of integral:
[tex]F(x)=\int_{x_{0}}^{x}f(x)dx[/tex]
It's known... So I ask if F(x) can be equal to this too:
[tex]F(x)=\int_{x}^{x_{1}}f(x)dx[/tex]
I ask which is the correct expression to F(x) when the variable x is placed in limit inferior.

Jhenrique said:
I saw that when you have a definite integral of a function f(x), you can to express the primitive, F(x), placing the variable x in limit superior of integral:
[tex]F(x)=\int_{x_{0}}^{x}f(x)dx[/tex]
It's known... So I ask if F(x) can be equal to this too:
[tex]F(x)=\int_{x}^{x_{1}}f(x)dx[/tex]
Probably not.
$$\int_x^{x_1}f(x)dx = -\int_{x_1}^x f(x)dx$$
Does that look the same as the first one you defined as F(x) above?
Jhenrique said:
I ask which is the correct expression to F(x) when the variable x is placed in limit inferior.

Two things:
1. The integrals you wrote are functions of x. The dummy variable in the integral should be some other variable, such as t. In other words, your first integral probably should be written like this:
$$F(x) = \int_{x_0}^x f(t)dt$$
2. You should identify two different things with the same letter. In other words, the two integrals you wrote should not both be identified as F(x).

1. What is a limit of integration variable?

A limit of integration variable is a variable used in calculus to define the boundaries of an integral. It represents the starting and ending points of the integration process and determines the range of values for which the function will be integrated.

2. How is a limit of integration variable chosen?

The limit of integration variable is typically chosen based on the problem at hand and the function being integrated. It is often chosen to correspond with a physical quantity or parameter in the problem, such as time or distance.

3. What happens when the limit of integration variable changes?

When the limit of integration variable changes, the boundaries of the integral also change. This can alter the range of values for which the function is integrated and can affect the overall value of the integral.

4. How do we determine the limits of integration for a given function?

The limits of integration for a given function are typically determined based on the properties and behavior of the function. For example, if the function is continuous, the limits of integration will likely correspond to the points where the function intersects the x-axis.

5. Can the limits of integration variable be a constant?

Yes, the limits of integration variable can be a constant. In some cases, this may be necessary to define a specific region of integration or to evaluate a definite integral. However, in most cases, the limit of integration variable will be a variable that can take on a range of values.