Limits of multiple variables along y=mx

In summary, The conversation discusses an assignment problem with two parts that involve proving that the function approaches 0 in different scenarios. The first part is to prove that the function approaches 0 when y=mx, while the second part is to prove that it approaches 0 when y=kx2. The conversation also includes attempted solutions for both parts and a question about the third part, which involves proving that the limit along y=x3 does not exist. The conversation ends with a question about using L'Hopital's rule and the expert summarizer suggests that it may not be applicable in this case.
Beamsbox
This is an assignment problem I have. Can't seem to figure it out. It has two parts, one to prove that the function approaches 0 where y=mx and and one where the function approaches 0 from y=kx2...

f(x,y) = (x3y)/(2x6+y2)

I've attempted both parts and get stuck on what seems like the same issue. Basically I've substituted y=mx for y. Giving:

Please assume that lim (x,mx)→(0,0) is at the beginning of these workings.
lim f(x,mx) = x3(mx)/(2x6+(mx)2)
lim f(x,mx) = mx4/[(x2(2x4+m2)]
lim f(x,mx) = mx2/(2x4+m2)

I suppose I could try L'Hopital at this point, but it doesn't seem to help I think the 3rd derivative leaves you with 0/0.

Could I get some direction, please?

Thanks prior!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Beamsbox said:
This is an assignment problem I have. Can't seem to figure it out. It has two parts, one to prove that the function approaches 0 where y=mx and and one where the function approaches 0 from y=kx2...

f(x,y) = (x3y)/(2x6+y2)

I've attempted both parts and get stuck on what seems like the same issue. Basically I've substituted y=mx for y. Giving:

Please assume that lim (x,mx)→(0,0) is at the beginning of these workings.
lim f(x,mx) = x3(mx)/(2x6+(mx)2)
lim f(x,mx) = mx4/[(x2(2x4+m2)]

I suppose I could try L'Hopital at this point, but it doesn't seem to help I think the 3rd derivative leaves you with 0/0.

Could I get some direction, please?

Thanks prior!
You have y = mx, so that if x→0, then mx→0 . This changes taking the limit as (x,y)→(0,0) to taking the limit as x→0.

For your problem:
If y = mx, then lim (x,y)→(0,0) f(x,y)
becomes, lim x→0 f(x,mx), where [itex]\displaystyle f(x,\,mx)=\frac{x^3(mx)}{2x^6+(mx)^2}=\frac{mx^4}{x^2(2x^4+m^2)}[/itex]

Thanks for your quick reply. That definitely helped me understand. I was able to answer both parts of the question with your help. The third part says to show that lim along y=x3 does not exist.

Now, I figured it to be 1/3, but I think the book is implying that the limit does not exist because the first two paths worked, but the third was different, therefore the limit does not exist. Would you agree?

Thanks again for your help! I spent way too much time dinkin' around with that problem...

That's the idea.

Beamsbox said:

why use L'Hopital? the limit you show is not of type 0/0 as x->0

1. What is the limit of a function along y=mx?

The limit of a function along y=mx is the value that the function approaches as x and y approach the x and y-intercepts, respectively, of the line y=mx.

2. How is the limit of a function along y=mx calculated?

The limit of a function along y=mx can be calculated by substituting the x-value into the function and solving for the y-value. This y-value will be the limit as x approaches the x-intercept of the line y=mx.

3. Can the limit of a function along y=mx be different from the limit along other lines?

Yes, the limit of a function along y=mx can be different from the limit along other lines if the function is not continuous along y=mx. This means that there may be a jump or discontinuity at the x-intercept of y=mx, causing the limit to be different.

4. How does the slope of the line y=mx affect the limit of a function along that line?

The slope of the line y=mx does not directly affect the limit of a function along that line. However, it can indirectly affect the limit if the function is not continuous along y=mx. A larger slope can result in a larger difference between the limit along y=mx and the limit along other lines.

5. Are there any special cases to consider when finding the limit of a function along y=mx?

Yes, there are two special cases to consider when finding the limit of a function along y=mx. The first case is when the function is not continuous at the x-intercept of y=mx, resulting in a different limit along y=mx compared to other lines. The second case is when the function is continuous at the x-intercept of y=mx, but the slope of the line is zero, resulting in a limit of zero along y=mx.