1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limits of sequences as x heads to infinity

1. Oct 23, 2012 #1
    cn= (4n)/(n+4n^(1/n))

When i set it up i think i should use l'hopital but im confused what to do with the 4n^(1/n) term.

an=(7^(2n))/(n!)

I know this is a geometric sequence and top and bottom increase initially then tend to 0, but im lost on how to show the work. should i expand the factorial or how would i use this with the squeeze theorem

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2012 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Does 4n^(1/n) mean 4[n^(1/n)], or does it mean (4n)^(1/n). If one reads it using standard rules, what you have written is 4[n^(1/n)]. So, what is the limit of n^(1/n)? [Hint: take logarithms.]

RGV

4. Oct 23, 2012 #3
    This is what it looks like sorry for confusion

Attached Files:

5. Oct 23, 2012 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There was no actual confusion; what you wrote is what you meant. (However, that is often not the case on this Forum, so that is why I asked.)

Anyway, what is your answer to my question about n^(1/n) as n → ∞?

RGV

6. Oct 24, 2012 #5
    ln(n^(1/n))
    (1/n)ln(n)=ln(n)/n

lim x->infin of ln(n)/n ->0 using l'hopitals rule

I dont understand did you apply ln to all the terms?

7. Oct 24, 2012 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I did not apply ln to anything---you did. So, given what you just did above, what can you say about whether or not n^(1/n) has a limit, and if so, what that limit is? Why does the answer to this question simplify the original problem?

RGV

8. Oct 24, 2012 #7
    So i put it into the form of lnx/x use lhopitals then it goes to 4/1+((1/x)/(x)) limit of this as it goes to inifintiny becomes 4

9. Oct 24, 2012 #8

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Once you have the form above, you do not need l'Hospital any more. Do you see why?

RGV

10. Oct 24, 2012 #9
    Well i already took it once so i dont need to take it again. i just take limits after that.

What i need to know is how can you apply the Ln to just n^(1/n) without applying it to the other n in the denominator or 4n in the numerator.

11. Oct 24, 2012 #10

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your denominator has two terms: n and n^(1/n). You need to know how the denominator behaves for large n, and that has nothing at all to do with l'Hospital's rule or anything like it. How does n behave when n → ∞? How does n^(1/n) behave when n → ∞? Do, how does the denominator behave when n → ∞? Furthermore, if you re-write your fraction as
    [tex] \frac{4}{1 + r(n)},[/tex]
    where
    [tex] r(n) = \frac{1}{n} n^{1/n}, [/tex]
    it is easy to see what is the limit of r(n) as n → ∞. If that limit is L, the whole fraction has limit 4/(1+L).

Just as you do not need l'Hospital to do lim (2x)/x [because for x ≠ 0 it is just equal to 2], so you do not need l'Hospital here.

RGV

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook