1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limits problem

1. May 26, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [tex]\stackrel{lim}{x→1}(\frac{p}{1-x^p}-\frac{q}{1-x^q})[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried writing 1-xp as (1-x)(1+x2+x3........xp-1) and same with 1-xq but i don't seem to find any way further.

2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2012 #2

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Hi Pranav!

Have you tried turning it into 1 fraction first?

Since (1-x) is the factor that approaches zero, perhaps you can then divide that away in both nominator and denominator...

4. May 26, 2012 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Write [itex]x = 1-r[/itex] and ask for the limit as [itex] r \rightarrow 0.[/itex] Use the binomial expansions of [itex](1-r)^p, \; (1-r)^q[/itex] in the denominators [itex]1-x^p = 1-(1-r)^p \text{ and } 1-x^q = 1-(1-r)^q.[/itex]

RGV

5. May 27, 2012 #4
    Hello ILS!
    At the first start, i did that but i stuck there too so i left it and tried to find a different way.

Hello RGV!
    Even i try to expand, the denominators become zero again. If i solve 1-(1-r)^p, all the terms will have "r" with them and if i substitute r=0, the denominators again become zero.

6. May 27, 2012 #5
    You need to combine both ILS and RGV's hints :wink:

The denominator does give 0, if you put in r=0. But, you can also take out r common from the denominator, and divide it in the numerator, which leaves you a constant term in denominator. Oh, and you need to apply binomial expansion even in the numerator.

[itex]\frac{p(^qC_1r+^qC_2r^2+......)-q(^pC_1r+^pC_2r^2+......)}{r^2(^pC_1+^pC_2r+......)(^qC_1+^qC_2r+......)}[/itex]

7. May 27, 2012 #6

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Well, you kind of have to.
    As it is both fractions approach infinity.
    So you are subtracting infinity from infinity, which is undetermined.

The only way I now to avoid that, is combining the 2 fractions into 1 fraction first.

Last edited: May 27, 2012
  8. May 27, 2012 #7

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why do you want to put r = 0? You are being asked for a LIMIT as r → 0. That means that you need to find a value, say v, towards which the original expression tends as |r| becomes smaller and smaller and smaller ... . When we compute the limit we never need to put r = 0. In some cases a limit as r → 0 is the same value that would be obtained by actually putting r = 0, but in others (such as the current one in this thread) we cannot ever put r = 0.

RGV

9. May 27, 2012 #8

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It is much easier to apply the binomial theorem first, to the two separate fractions, take out the common factor r from both denominators, and then combine the fractions. However, either way will lead to the same final answer, provided that one is careful.

RGV

10. May 27, 2012 #9
    Thank you all for the help! :smile:

Combining the hints provided by ILS and RGV i got my answer.
    Here's the solution:
    (I am dropping the limit word just to make it easier for me to write)

Substituting x=1-r as r→0,
    [tex]\frac{p}{1-x^p}-\frac{q}{1-x^q}=\frac{p}{(^pC_1r-^pC_2r^2+......)}-\frac{q}{(^qC_1r-^qC_2r^2+......)}[/tex]
    [tex]=\frac{1}{r}[\frac{pq-p(^qC_2r-^qC_3r^2+.....)-pq+q(^pC_2r-^pC_2r^2+...)}{(^pC_1-^pC_2r+......)(^qC_1-^qC_2r+......)}][/tex]

pq cancels out. Taking out the common factor from numerator, and substituting r=0, i am left with,

[tex]\frac{^pC_2q-^qC_2p}{^pC_1 {}^qC_1}[/tex]
    Solving this, i get
    [tex]\frac{p-1}{2}-\frac{q-1}{2}[/tex]
    Finally, i get the result
    [tex]\frac{p-q}{2}[/tex]

11. May 28, 2012 #10
    Yep! That's perfect! :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook