What is the Limit of a Fraction with Variable Exponents as x Approaches 1?

• Thread starter Saitama
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limits
In summary, Pranav tried to solve the homework equation 1-xp as (1-x)(1+x2+x3...xp-1), but didn't seem to find a way further. He then tried to turn it into 1 fraction first, but that didn't work either because the denominators became zero again. ILS and RGV both suggested combining the 2 fractions into 1, and that helped him to solve the equation.
Saitama

Homework Statement

[tex]\stackrel{lim}{x→1}(\frac{p}{1-x^p}-\frac{q}{1-x^q})[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried writing 1-xp as (1-x)(1+x2+x3...xp-1) and same with 1-xq but i don't seem to find any way further.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Pranav!

Have you tried turning it into 1 fraction first?

Since (1-x) is the factor that approaches zero, perhaps you can then divide that away in both nominator and denominator...

Pranav-Arora said:

Homework Statement

[tex]\stackrel{lim}{x→1}(\frac{p}{1-x^p}-\frac{q}{1-x^q})[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried writing 1-xp as (1-x)(1+x2+x3...xp-1) and same with 1-xq but i don't seem to find any way further.

Write [itex]x = 1-r[/itex] and ask for the limit as [itex] r \rightarrow 0.[/itex] Use the binomial expansions of [itex](1-r)^p, \; (1-r)^q[/itex] in the denominators [itex]1-x^p = 1-(1-r)^p \text{ and } 1-x^q = 1-(1-r)^q.[/itex]

RGV

I like Serena said:
Hi Pranav!

Have you tried turning it into 1 fraction first?

Since (1-x) is the factor that approaches zero, perhaps you can then divide that away in both nominator and denominator...

Hello ILS!
At the first start, i did that but i stuck there too so i left it and tried to find a different way.

Ray Vickson said:
Write [itex]x = 1-r[/itex] and ask for the limit as [itex] r \rightarrow 0.[/itex] Use the binomial expansions of [itex](1-r)^p, \; (1-r)^q[/itex] in the denominators [itex]1-x^p = 1-(1-r)^p \text{ and } 1-x^q = 1-(1-r)^q.[/itex]

RGV

Hello RGV!
Even i try to expand, the denominators become zero again. If i solve 1-(1-r)^p, all the terms will have "r" with them and if i substitute r=0, the denominators again become zero.

Pranav-Arora said:
Even i try to expand, the denominators become zero again. If i solve 1-(1-r)^p, all the terms will have "r" with them and if i substitute r=0, the denominators again become zero.

You need to combine both ILS and RGV's hints :wink:

The denominator does give 0, if you put in r=0. But, you can also take out r common from the denominator, and divide it in the numerator, which leaves you a constant term in denominator. Oh, and you need to apply binomial expansion even in the numerator.

[itex]\frac{p(^qC_1r+^qC_2r^2+...)-q(^pC_1r+^pC_2r^2+...)}{r^2(^pC_1+^pC_2r+...)(^qC_1+^qC_2r+...)}[/itex]

Pranav-Arora said:
Hello ILS!
At the first start, i did that but i stuck there too so i left it and tried to find a different way.

Well, you kind of have to.
As it is both fractions approach infinity.
So you are subtracting infinity from infinity, which is undetermined.

The only way I now to avoid that, is combining the 2 fractions into 1 fraction first.

Last edited:
Pranav-Arora said:
Hello ILS!

Hello RGV!

Why do you want to put r = 0? You are being asked for a LIMIT as r → 0. That means that you need to find a value, say v, towards which the original expression tends as |r| becomes smaller and smaller and smaller ... . When we compute the limit we never need to put r = 0. In some cases a limit as r → 0 is the same value that would be obtained by actually putting r = 0, but in others (such as the current one in this thread) we cannot ever put r = 0.

RGV

Infinitum said:
You need to combine both ILS and RGV's hints :wink:

The denominator does give 0, if you put in r=0. But, you can also take out r common from the denominator, and divide it in the numerator, which leaves you a constant term in denominator. Oh, and you need to apply binomial expansion even in the numerator.

[itex]\frac{p(^qC_1r+^qC_2r^2+...)-q(^pC_1r+^pC_2r^2+...)}{r^2(^pC_1+^pC_2r+...)(^qC_1+^qC_2r+...)}[/itex]

It is much easier to apply the binomial theorem first, to the two separate fractions, take out the common factor r from both denominators, and then combine the fractions. However, either way will lead to the same final answer, provided that one is careful.

RGV

Thank you all for the help! :smile:

Combining the hints provided by ILS and RGV i got my answer.
Here's the solution:
(I am dropping the limit word just to make it easier for me to write)

Substituting x=1-r as r→0,
[tex]\frac{p}{1-x^p}-\frac{q}{1-x^q}=\frac{p}{(^pC_1r-^pC_2r^2+...)}-\frac{q}{(^qC_1r-^qC_2r^2+...)}[/tex]
[tex]=\frac{1}{r}[\frac{pq-p(^qC_2r-^qC_3r^2+...)-pq+q(^pC_2r-^pC_2r^2+...)}{(^pC_1-^pC_2r+...)(^qC_1-^qC_2r+...)}][/tex]

pq cancels out. Taking out the common factor from numerator, and substituting r=0, i am left with,

[tex]\frac{^pC_2q-^qC_2p}{^pC_1 {}^qC_1}[/tex]
Solving this, i get
[tex]\frac{p-1}{2}-\frac{q-1}{2}[/tex]
Finally, i get the result
[tex]\frac{p-q}{2}[/tex]

Yep! That's perfect! :smile:

What is the formula for calculating limits?

The formula for calculating limits is given as:
lim x→a f(x) = L
This means that as x approaches the value of a, the function f(x) approaches the limit value of L.

How do you determine the limit of a rational function?

To determine the limit of a rational function, substitute the value that x is approaching into the function and simplify. If the resulting value is undefined, then the limit does not exist. Otherwise, the limit will be the simplified result.

What are the common types of limits?

The common types of limits include:
- One-sided limits
- Infinite limits
- Limits at infinity
- Trigonometric limits
- Logarithmic limits
- Exponential limits

What are the properties of limits?

The properties of limits include:
- The limit of a sum is the sum of the limits
- The limit of a difference is the difference of the limits
- The limit of a constant times a function is the constant times the limit of the function
- The limit of a product is the product of the limits
- The limit of a quotient is the quotient of the limits, as long as the limit of the denominator is not 0
- The limit of a power is the power of the limit

How can you use limits to solve real-world problems?

Limits can be used to solve real-world problems by modeling real-life situations with mathematical functions and then using limits to find the behavior of the function at certain points. This can help in predicting outcomes, optimizing solutions, and understanding the limits of a system. Examples of real-world applications of limits include calculating maximum and minimum values, finding rates of change, and determining the stability of a system.