Limits with trig functions manipulations

In summary, The key to limits with trig functions is to get them into the form \lim_{x\rightarrow 0} \frac{\sin x}{x} = 1. However, in the case of \lim_{x\rightarrow 0} \frac{\tan 6t}{\sin 2t}, we can use the identity \tan 2x=2\tan x/(1-\tan^2 x) to simplify the expression. The limit can then be rewritten as \lim_{x\rightarrow 0} \frac{\sin 6t}{\sin 2t \cos 6t}. By multiplying and dividing by appropriate terms, the limit can be simplified to \lim_{x
Jeff Ford
I'm pretty useless at trig manipulations, but I'm trying to learn

According to my text, the key to limits with trig functions is to get them into this form

[tex] \lim_ {t\rightarrow 0} \frac{\sin x}{x} = 1 [/tex]

I've been doing alright with that, but I'm stuck on this one
[tex] \lim_ {t\rightarrow 0} \frac{\tan 6t}{\sin 2t} [/tex]

I'm not sure what else to turn this into besides
[tex] \lim_ {t\rightarrow 0} \frac{\sin 6t}{\sin 2t \cos 6t} [/tex]

A poke in the right direction would be appreciated.

Thanks
Jeff

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You could use the identity

[tex]tg2x=2tgx/(1-tg^2x)[/tex]

I tought I read in another thread that you teach a calculus class. Did I misread?

Jeff Ford said:
I'm pretty useless at trig manipulations, but I'm trying to learn

According to my text, the key to limits with trig functions is to get them into this form

[tex] \lim_ {x\rightarrow 0} \frac{\sin x}{x} = 1 [/tex]

I've been doing alright with that, but I'm stuck on this one
[tex] \lim_ {x\rightarrow 0} \frac{\tan 6t}{\sin 2t} [/tex]

I'm not sure what else to turn this into besides
[tex] \lim_ {x\rightarrow 0} \frac{\sin 6t}{\sin 2t \cos 6t} [/tex]

A poke in the right direction would be appreciated.

Thanks
Jeff

Take a look at
[tex]\frac{n}{m}\frac{sin 6t}{nt}\frac{mt}{sin 2t}\frac{1}{cos 6t}[/tex]

I'll let you do the work of deciding how to choose n and m correctly.

quasar987 said:
You could use the identity

[tex]tg2x=2tgx/(1-tg^2x)[/tex]

I tought I read in another thread that you teach a calculus class. Did I misread?

I do not teach a calculus class, I take a calculus class :tongue:

Ok, I've made some progress

[tex] \lim_ {t\rightarrow 0} \frac{\sin 6t}{\sin 2t \cos 6t} (\frac{12t}{12t}) = \lim_ {t\rightarrow 0} \frac{6}{2} (\frac{\sin 6t}{6t}) (\frac {2t}{\sin 2t}) (\frac{1}{\cos 6t})[/tex]

I know the limit here for each term except [tex] (\frac {2t}{\sin 2t}) [/tex]

Straight substitution leaves this undeffined. Is there a standard for working out limits in this form?

Last edited:
Is your limit [tex]x\rightarrow 0[/tex] or [tex]t\rightarrow 0[/tex]? Anyway, I seem to remember that even
[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0} \frac{x}{\sin{x}}=1[/tex]
but I am far from certain.

It's [itex] t\rightarrow 0 [/itex]. I've made the change in the earlier posts.

It would seem that if [tex] \lim_{x\rightarrow 0} \frac{\sin x}{x} = 1 [/tex] then [tex] \lim_{x\rightarrow 0} \frac{x}{\sin x} = 1 [/tex], but I'm wary of making that assumption. Can someone clarify if I am correct?
If so, the answer to my original question is 3, which matches up with the back of the text.

Thanks

Jeff

I seem to remember this being the case. However I was not certain so I did a quick check in Mathematica and it gives me the same answers. The question is; how reliable is Mathematica? :smile:

Jeff Ford said:
It's [itex] t\rightarrow 0 [/itex]. I've made the change in the earlier posts.

It would seem that if [tex] \lim_{x\rightarrow 0} \frac{\sin x}{x} = 1 [/tex] then [tex] \lim_{x\rightarrow 0} \frac{x}{\sin x} = 1 [/tex], but I'm wary of making that assumption. Can someone clarify if I am correct?
If so, the answer to my original question is 3, which matches up with the back of the text.

Thanks

Jeff
Do you agree that your wariness hinges upon the following:
Given that lim f =L (non-zero), then lim 1/f =1/L ?

What do you know about this statement?

It appears to be true. I can't think of a counter example.

That's not good enough! You should prove it!
Here's one way:
1. assume that the limit of f at x=0 is L (non-zero)
Since L is non-zero, there must be a non-zero neighbourhood about x=0 where f is always non-zero (otherwise, L could not be f's limit value at x=0, since at arbitrarily close points, there would be function values differing from L at least of magnitude L)

2. Regard the difference (within the domain existing by virtue of 1.):
[tex]|\frac{1}{f}-\frac{1}{L}|=\frac{1}{|f||L|}|f-L|[/tex]

try to concoct an epsilon-delta proof to show that the statement holds.

I'm still in Calc I and haven't done much more than the most basic epsilon-delta proofs. I'd love to learn how, but I'm uncertain as to where to begin.

Do I start with [tex]|\frac{1}{f}-\frac{1}{L}| < \epsilon [/tex] and [tex] \frac{1}{|f||L|}|f-L| <\epsilon [/tex] and try to find [tex] \delta > |x| [/tex] that works for both cases?

Jeff Ford said:
I'm still in Calc I and haven't done much more than the most basic epsilon-delta proofs. I'd love to learn how, but I'm uncertain as to where to begin.

Do I start with [tex]|\frac{1}{f}-\frac{1}{L}| < \epsilon [/tex] and [tex] \frac{1}{|f||L|}|f-L| <\epsilon [/tex] and try to find [tex] \delta > |x| [/tex] that works for both cases?
The first thing to remember about the epsilon-delta business is not to bother overmuch about the epsilon!
What IS in general important, is to bound your expression with a function of delta that is easily seen to go to zero as delta goes to zero.

Now, in this case there are two salient features:
1. We need to estimate the |f| in the denominator in a clever manner.
2. We have the difference |f-L| to take care of.

1. We want to find an upper bound for [itex]\frac{1}{|f||L|}|f-L|[/itex]
Hence, we should first find a LOWER bound for |f|, since it appears in the denominator.
Since we know that the limit of f is L, there will exist a [itex]\delta_{1}[/itex] so that for all x's inside that delta,[tex]|f|\geq\frac{|L|}{2}[/tex]
(the half is chosen for simplicity, the validity of the inequality is straightforward to see).

2. Since f goes to L, then for any [itex]\epsilon[/tex] there will exist a [itex]\delta_{2}[/itex] so that [itex]|f-L|\leq\frac{L^{2}\epsilon}{2}[/tex]
(This particular choice is just cosmetics, in order to end up with a nice expression.)

3. Thus, choosing [itex]\delta=minimum(\delta_{1},\delta_{2})[/itex]
we get, for x's inside the delta-band:
[tex]\frac{1}{|L||f|}|f-L|<\frac{2}{L^{2}}\frac{L^{2}\epsilon}{2}=\epsilon[/tex]
Voila!

Clever logic. It took me awhile, but I think I understand what you did. Just for reference, is this something I should be learning at the Calc I level, or does this usually come up in something like an Analysis class?

Since you are in Calc 1 you can use L'Hospital's Rule to show that the limit exists and is also 1.

daveb said:
Since you are in Calc 1 you can use L'Hospital's Rule to show that the limit exists and is also 1.
And how do you prove in the first place that we have:
[tex]\frac{d}{dx}\sin(x)=\cos(x)[/tex] ?

daveb said:

That's about a chapter ahead of where I am now. I read a few sections ahead of the class, but not quite that far.

Ah, I didn't realize you hadn't covered derivatives yet.

arildno said:
And how do you prove in the first place that we have:
[tex]\frac{d}{dx}\sin(x)=\cos(x)[/tex] ?

I can follow the proof of this one almost all the way to the end, staring from the limit definition of the derivative. I just get a little stuck at the last step. I can break it down to terms that are almost all defined when [itex] h = 0 [/itex] but I get two terms in that step that are [tex] \lim_{h\rightarrow 0} \frac{\sin(h)}{h} [/tex]

I know this equals one, but I'm not sure how to prove this logically. The proof in my text is only done geometrically.

Without using derivatives, you can show this since for small values of x (we're letting x going to 0), we have that:

[tex]
\begin{array}{l}
\sin x \le x \le \tan x \\
\frac{{\sin x}}{{\sin x}} \le \frac{x}{{\sin x}} \le \frac{{\tan x}}{{\sin x}} \\
1 \le \frac{x}{{\sin x}} \le \frac{1}{{\cos x}} \\
\end{array}
[/tex]

And since [itex]\mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to 0} \frac{1}{{\cos x}} = 1[/itex], we've now 'squeezed' our function between two which have limit 1.

Ah, the squeeze theorem. I hadn't had a chance to make use of that yet. Thanks!

Jeff Ford said:
Ah, the squeeze theorem. I hadn't had a chance to make use of that yet. Thanks!
You're welcome :smile:

Another, geometric "proof" is the following:
1. Draw a unit circle
2. Draw a line through the centre with angle x (in radians!) to another line through the centre (say, the horizontal).
3. Consider the areas of the 3 figures:
a) the triangle with hypotenuse 1, base cos(x) and height sin(x)
(area: 1/2*sin(x)cos(x))
b) the circle sector indicated, area x/2
c) the right-angled triangle with base 1 and height tan(x)
area: tan(x)/2

Evidently, we have a<b<c, which can be rewritten as,by dividing throughout with sin(x)/2:
[tex]cos(x)<\frac{x}{\sin(x)}<\frac{1}{\cos(x)}[/tex]

the value of the ratio is squeezed into 1 as x goes to zero..

The explanation I got from my instructor last night was

[tex] \lim_{x\rightarrow 0} \frac{f(x)}{g(x)} = \frac{\lim_{x\rightarrow 0} f(x)}{\lim_{x\rightarrow 0} g(x)} [/tex]

Therefore

[tex] \lim_{x\rightarrow 0} \frac{x}{\sin(x)} = \frac{\lim_{x\rightarrow 0} 1}{\lim_{x\rightarrow 0} \frac{\sin(x)}{x}} [/tex]

Jeff Ford said:
The explanation I got from my instructor last night was

[tex] \lim_{x\rightarrow 0} \frac{f(x)}{g(x)} = \frac{\lim_{x\rightarrow 0} f(x)}{\lim_{x\rightarrow 0} g(x)} [/tex]
Note that this only holds if both limits in numerator and denumerator exist.

True, I should have made that clarification. Thanks.

1. What is the definition of a limit with trig functions?

A limit with trig functions refers to the value that a function approaches as its input (x-value) approaches a certain value. This can be represented mathematically as lim f(x) = L, where L is the limit and f(x) is the function.

2. How can I determine the limit of a trig function?

To determine the limit of a trig function, you can use algebraic manipulations, trigonometric identities, and the properties of limits. You can also use a graphing calculator or a table of values to estimate the limit.

3. What are some common trigonometric identities used in limit calculations?

Some common trigonometric identities used in limit calculations include sin^2x + cos^2x = 1, sin(-x) = -sin(x), and cos(-x) = cos(x). These identities can help simplify the expression and make it easier to determine the limit.

4. Can I use L'Hopital's rule to find limits with trig functions?

Yes, L'Hopital's rule can be used to find limits with trig functions. However, you may need to apply the rule multiple times depending on the complexity of the function.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when calculating limits with trig functions?

One common mistake to avoid is forgetting to simplify the expression before taking the limit. It is also important to check for any discontinuities or undefined values in the function. Additionally, be careful when using trig identities and make sure to apply them correctly.