Lin Algebra Row Reduction (on variables)

In summary, the conversation is about using row reduction to show that the given matrix is equal to (b-a)(c-a)(c-b). The individual explains their attempt at solving it, and gets confused about where the constants -a and -a^2 came from. They also ask for suggestions and advice on how to proceed. The conversation ends with the suggestion to find the determinant and use cofactor expansion, which ultimately leads to the desired equation.
Aerosion

Homework Statement

Use row reduction to show that:

[1 1 1]
[a b c] = (b-a)(c-a)(c-b)
[a^2 b^2 c^2]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I multiplied -a by row 1 and added it to row 2. I then multiplied -a^2 by row 1 and added it to row 3, which gave me:

[1 1 1]
[0 b-a c-a]
[0 b^2-a^2 c^2-a^2]

Now, at this point, I was already quite confused, as I don't know how I did that (I was following the book). Where did the -a and -a^2 come from? Thin air? How was I to know to multiply a (as opposed to b or c)?

Anyway, after that, I did cofactor expansion and expanded the b^2-a^2 and the c^2-a^2 to get (b-a)(b+a) and (c-a)(c+a). This is pretty much where I got up to. I think I'm close, but I don't know what to do next. Suggestions? Advice? Hmm?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think they are asking you to find the determinant of the matrix using row reduction. get the matrix in upper triangular form then product of diagonal entries is the determinant.

Well, I'm not sure how to put it in upper triangular form, as I'm not sure how to get these numbers to equal zero (unless I multiply -a to the first row, and I'm not sure if I can do that, since I don't know if you can multiply in row reduction).

Wait...R2 - aR1 and R3 - a^2R1, right? That would explain the first column...and how I got the second matrix...

Then do the cofactor expansion and take the determinant, which gets an equation that can factor out to (b-a)(c-a)(c-b)...is that right?

all you need is work it out and see...

1. What is row reduction in linear algebra?

Row reduction is a method used to simplify a matrix in linear algebra by performing elementary row operations. This process involves manipulating the rows of a matrix to transform it into a simpler form, such as row echelon form or reduced row echelon form.

2. Why is row reduction important?

Row reduction is important because it allows us to solve systems of linear equations and find the solutions to a matrix. It also helps in determining the rank, determinant, and inverse of a matrix, which are important concepts in linear algebra and have many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

3. What are the elementary row operations used in row reduction?

The three elementary row operations used in row reduction are: 1) swapping two rows, 2) multiplying a row by a non-zero constant, and 3) adding a multiple of one row to another row. These operations do not change the solutions of the system of equations represented by the matrix.

4. How do you perform row reduction?

To perform row reduction, we use the three elementary row operations to manipulate the matrix until it is in its simplest form. The goal is to get the matrix into either row echelon form or reduced row echelon form, which can then be used to solve the system of equations or perform other calculations.

5. Can row reduction be used for matrices with more than two variables?

Yes, row reduction can be used for matrices with any number of variables. The process is the same, but it may involve more steps and calculations. In some cases, the matrix may not be able to be reduced to its simplest form, and additional techniques, such as Gaussian elimination, may be necessary.