1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Line integral of a vector field.

1. Nov 17, 2008 #1
    Hi all, i'm new to the forums so if i do something stupid don't hesitate to tell me.

Anyway i'm struggling with this problem:

[​IMG]

I could do part a ok, but part b has me stumped, I am in the second year of a physics degree and this is a from a maths problem sheet, i haven't done line integrals before now and they have me a bit confused, my textbook has a few examples but none of them include vectors and wiki has me even more confused.

Here is my attempt so far:

[​IMG]
    (please excuse bad handwriting, i am dyslexic)

I basically don't know where to begin with it, any help much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Use that along your path y=x^3. So r=x*i+x^3*j. (i=x hat and j=y hat). What is the vector dr? Change the y's in V to x^3's as well and integrate dx.

4. Nov 17, 2008 #3
    I think dr is just a small difference in the postion vector r, so dr = dx*i+dy*j ? r isn't mentioned anywhere else in the question.

5. Nov 17, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure it is. But now let's decide to integrate dx. Replace y with x^3. Now what's dr?

6. Nov 17, 2008 #5
    dr=x*i +(x^3)j

I also have V(r)=(2x-x^6)i + [(6x^6)-(2x^4)]j

But i am a bit unsure about V.dr, is it {[ (2x^2)-(x^7) ]i + [ (6x^9)-(2x^7) ]j}dx ?

7. Nov 17, 2008 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What happened to the 'd's on the right side of dr? You've got y*j, shouldn't it be d(y)*j? Same for i. Let's get dr right before going to the dot product.

8. Nov 17, 2008 #7
    OK, i jumped the gun a bit with dr, is it d(r) = d(x)*i + d(y)*j = d(x)*i + d(x^3)*j ?

9. Nov 17, 2008 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Right. And d(x^3)=3*x^2*dx, right? So dr=(i+3x^2*j)dx.Now do the dot product and you'll get a single integral dx.

10. Nov 17, 2008 #9
    Ok, V.dr=[(2x-x^6)+(18x^8)-(6x^6)]dx

When i integrate this with the limits x1=0 and x2=1 i get 2, does this sound about right?

11. Nov 17, 2008 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's what I got. Not so hard, hmm?

12. Nov 17, 2008 #11
    Yeah thanks that's been a great help.

Part c seems trivial now but part d seems a bit daunting still.

13. Nov 17, 2008 #12

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Don't be daunted. You know dphi/dx=2x-y^2 (partial derivative). What does that tell you about phi?

14. Nov 17, 2008 #13
    Hmm, after much head scratching i think what you are getting at is that [tex]\nabla[/tex](phi(x,y))=(dphi/dx)i+(dphi/dy)j, which means:

phi(x,y)=[int(2x-y^2)dx] + [int((6y^2)-2xy)]

which gives:

phi=x2 + 2y3 -xy2

Which does seem to give 2 when i do phi(1,1) - phi(0,0)

15. Nov 17, 2008 #14

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The answer is right. Since dphi/dx=2x-y^2, that means phi=x^2-x*y^2+f(y). Yeah, that is 'integral dx' with f(y) being the constant of integration. That gives dphi/dy=-2xy+f'(y). Since you are supposed to get 6y^2-2xy, you can figure that the f'(y) part must be the 6y^2, so if you put it all together, phi=x^2-xy^2+2y^3.

16. Nov 17, 2008 #15

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm not taking your int()+int() formula literally. If I did I would get a -xy^2 term from each one of those. For a total of -2xy^2, which is not right.

17. Nov 17, 2008 #16
    Well i've managed to do the problem, and i could probably do others now using that technique, but i'm not sure i understand why it works, i mean in questions b, c and d the only constant is x1=0, y1=0, x2=1 and y2=1, why doesn't the chosen path have an effect, is it something to do with the curl being 0?

18. Nov 17, 2008 #17

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It has everything to do with the curl being zero. It's one of the conditions you need for V to be conservative. 'Conservative' means that the line integral between two points is independent of the path chosen. If they hadn't given you a conservative V, then the answer would depend on the path.

19. Nov 17, 2008 #18
    Ok i get it now! Thanks for your help, i wouldn't have been able to do this much without it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?